Creative Sound Blaster Z Initial Impression
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nielo TM

100+ Head-Fier
I've been playing with it for an hour or so and so far I'm very impressed with the sound quality (better than the X-Fi XM I had before). I wasn't expecting such detail and clarity after the Recon3D fiasco. Built quality is also superb, but the card is filled with G-Luxon caps. I'm not sure how they compare to Nichicon's Fine-Gold (FG) Audio Capacitors found on the Zx or if they are even worth the extra money (it might be cheaper to recap). From reading various forums, G-Luxon caps don't seem to be audio grade. I mainly use my in-ear (PFE012) for critical listing so I'm not sure how it effects me (but would love to find out tho).

Installation process couldn't be simpler  and the control panel is well laid out and very easy to use (exact opposite of the ASUS Control Panel). Going to do some more testing later on and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS: I don't game on my PC, so can't answer and gaming related questions.

Left: X-Fi XtremeMusic (2006 Edition). Right: Sound Blaster Z (2012 Edition)

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 9
What OS are you using?

I am on win7 64 bit, and first off it took 30 minutes to install the software, and second the Pro Studio Controll Panel only shows the "cinematic option."

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Just tried a few tracks from Sarah Brightman's Harem and I can hear details I've never heard before. It's like I'm listening to remastered version.

Creative definitely have done themselves proud.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 9
  I've been playing with it for an hour or so and so far I'm very impressed with the sound quality (better than the X-Fi XM I had before). I wasn't expecting such detail and clarity after the Recon3D fiasco. Built quality is also superb, but the card is filled with G-Luxon caps. I'm not sure how they compare to Nichicon's Fine-Gold (FG) Audio Capacitors found on the Zx or if they are even worth the extra money (it might be cheaper to recap). From reading various forums, G-Luxon caps don't seem to be audio grade. I mainly use my in-ear (PFE012) for critical listing so I'm not sure how it effects me (but would love to find out tho).

Installation process couldn't be simpler  and the control panel is well laid out and very easy to use (exact opposite of the ASUS Control Panel). Going to do some more testing later on and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS: I don't game on my PC, so can't answer and gaming related questions.

Left: X-Fi XtremeMusic (2006 Edition). Right: Sound Blaster Z (2012 Edition)

the Z its the half size right? can u post a comparison photo? i cant find any online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back