Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD vs. NuForce Icon uDAC-2 vs. FiiO E17 for headphone and speaker use
Apr 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

floeezy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for an external sound card or DAC/amp to connect to my Asus N56VZ laptop. The RealTek ALC663 sound card in this laptop is junk IMO. Distortion is present at medium/high volumes and everything sounds muddy. I am hoping that this sound card or DAC/amp will be able to drive both my HiFiMAN HE-400 headphones and Logitech Z4 speakers.

Right now I'm looking at the following:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD - $86
NuForce Icon uDAC-2 - $119
Fiio E17 - $139

At the moment, my max budget is $150. I do not know much about sound cards or DACs/amplifiers, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 8
I like my X-FI HD. I use it mostly to convert USB to S/PDIF for listening to iTunes from my HT. I also use it to digitize vinyl.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Adding a better sound card isnt going to make your speakers sound better. Those will always sound distorted and muddy. How do the headphones sound with the laptop?

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 8
The headphones sound not as clean with the laptop. My portable set-up, iPod touch 4G->LOD->HeadSix->HE-400, sounds better. This is the reason I'm tending to believe that the internal sound card of the laptop is the issue. I haven't connected the speakers yet as they are still with my desktop PC, which they sounded really nice with. I'm just looking for a higher fidelity system.

May 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Anonymous 1337-I too have titanium X-fi HD card by Creative-really like it although Gamers don't. Yes you can install it without the CD software but I do not recommend it .
          Microsoft puts its own drivers in  and you also lose out on Creatives Official drivers a lot of extra audio program   and more to the point  Creatives UPDATE service. I already have updated drivers installed  AS I had to Register  the product by clicking on it on my PC  I can get FREE professional help from them. They check your product for legality on line and once they pass it thats you good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back