Creative SB ZXR - sounds wayyyyy to bright/sharp
Jun 24, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 20
  For future computer audio purchases, I suggest 3 things. A DAC, running via ASIO with an ASIO bridge, or directly with something like Jriver, and a program called Fidelizer Pro. The difference will blow your mind. Of course, you'll need a proper pair of speakers and headphones to notice the difference.

Soundcards suck. Not necessarily because they are crap, but rather because the environment they live in is crap. The inside of a computer is a horrendously electrically noisy environment. That's not good for audio. 

I've owned a myriad of soundcards and speakers, and two DACs- a $240 Arcam rPAC and a $550 TEAC UD-301. The difference from a soundcard to a good DAC is night and day. Even high end soundcards like Xonar STX cant touch an entry level DAC like the $150 Audioquest Dragonfly. 

I suggest very strongly that if you want to get into proper headphones, you should get yourself a proper DAC/AMP combo. You can do this with one unit, or you can buy seperates. Schiit is a company who's products you should look at, as they may be just right for you. Made in 'Murica with good QC and good bang for the buck. Plus they have an awesome name.

I suggest you move away from Creative Speakers. They have always been garbage. A good entry level computer speaker is the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. That's a spectacular system for $150 US. It's quality belies it's price. 

If you want to move up from there, there are powered speakers from PSB and KEF (for about $350 and 750 respectively) that are quite fantastic. Below that are entry level powered studio monitors. If you can get your hands on a pair of Yorkville YSM5 studio monitors, or a pair of Yamaha 5 inchers, that would be very good. 

Most of what is popular for computer audio is crap, because most computer users don't know what good sound is. Take the popularity of the Audioengine D1 DAC and A2/A5 speakers. Garbage. But it sells like crack. Why? People are ignorant.

Don't fall for the hype.

what about muses 02 ?

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 20
I'm pretty sure that opamp is in my DAC (x2). I don't mind the sound. I'm not a believer in opamps really noticeably coloring sound. There have been double blind tests proving this. Everything is subjective but don't expect miracles from swapping opamps. If you are using a crappy source, no opamp can rescue it from its crappiness. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back