Creative opens pre-orders for new Zen Micro
Mar 1, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
No way would the carbon have an 8gb and especially a 10gb capacity. MicroHD players move 1gb at a time (or at least they have the last 3gig upgrades. I saw in PCmag that the JUST figured out how to make a MicroHD and it costs quite a bundle. I dont know if any (major) company out there has started to mass produce even a 7gb. Right now the roof is 6gb and that class just opened up.

Um, well then you would be wrong. Go over to dapreview.net. Witness how the Mpio HD(D)-400 comes in an 8GB flavor. Read on the net about how Hitachi unveiled 8 and 10GB 1" HDDs at (CES?). And how they're smaller than the current crop of 1" HDDs. Then come back and tell me they move 1GB at a time.

Thanks.
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
damnit, just a couple weeks after i bought mine. i would have liked the 6gb model. oh well, that's technology
rolleyes.gif

Two weeks? Can you return it?

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Um, well then you would be wrong. Go over to dapreview.net. Witness how the Mpio HD(D)-400 comes in an 8GB flavor. Read on the net about how Hitachi unveiled 8 and 10GB 1" HDDs at (CES?). And how they're smaller than the current crop of 1" HDDs. Then come back and tell me they move 1GB at a time.

Thanks.
tongue.gif

As to the Mpio i guess there is a microHD player with 8gb( when is that player coming out?), but there is always the exception or two but we are talking about selling tens of millions of players with these HD's in them (those 8 and 10gb HD's they are the same from PCmag). But just because they've been introduced doesnt mean that they are going into mass market production, usually because of cost and production issues. Eventually we will likely be using these HD's but i see the industry continuing on their 1gb increase per gen as it will make them more money than skipping straight to the 8gb and 10gb range. But hell what do i know mabey they will do something for the consumer for once...mabey...until then i wouldnt put too much hope on a 10gb microHD.

Your Welcome
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #20 of 25
Oh my, my mini is arriving tomorrow. I got it because it was $50 less than the Micro, but maybe now they'll be the same price?
Anyone know Apple's return policy?

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Zen Micro 4GB comes in 4 colors - Black, Sliver, White, Dark Blue
Zen Micro 5GB comes in 10 colors - Red, Purple, Pink, Orange, Green, Dark Blue, Light Blue, White, Silver, Black
Zen Micro 6GB comes in 4 colors - Black, Silver, White, Dark Blue

Interesting...

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent
Oh my, my mini is arriving tomorrow. I got it because it was $50 less than the Micro, but maybe now they'll be the same price?
Anyone know Apple's return policy?

I don't know about Europe, but in the US it's no problem if it hasn't been open. Then again having played with a Zen Micro yesterday (and owning several iPods), I'd give then both some thought before returning it. Both seem good players.

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Two weeks? Can you return it?

looking at the bill for it, i actually got it just over a month ago. seems like a couple weeks however
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
As to the Mpio i guess there is a microHD player with 8gb( when is that player coming out?), but there is always the exception or two but we are talking about selling tens of millions of players with these HD's in them (those 8 and 10gb HD's they are the same from PCmag). But just because they've been introduced doesnt mean that they are going into mass market production, usually because of cost and production issues. Eventually we will likely be using these HD's but i see the industry continuing on their 1gb increase per gen as it will make them more money than skipping straight to the 8gb and 10gb range. But hell what do i know mabey they will do something for the consumer for once...mabey...until then i wouldnt put too much hope on a 10gb microHD.

Your Welcome
tongue.gif

Well, presumably they will be readily available by summer, which is when I predict the Carbon will start utilizing them. Since the Mpio player has already been anounced, and should presumably be available before then, that means the the 8GB version at least will be in production by then, and have had time to ramp up.

Anyways, it's not that unlikely for us to see an 8GB player, if the drives are available in sufficient quantity for a larger DAP producer, given that the 5G iPod will be out about the same time, and will most likely continue the trend of size increases, probably making 30GB the smallest full-size DAP. That leaves quite a gap between micro players and full-sized players, which an 8GB Micro-DAP could exploit.

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #25 of 25
You don't think they'll continue producing the 5GB as well, do you? Seems like 4, 5 and 6 gig models would be overkill. Hopefully we'll see the manufacturers making these microdrive players in 5 and 10 gig varieties, which will really give the consumer a lot of DAP choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back