Creative Nomad Explorer.....What :(
Dec 18, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImMersion
Its quite simple. Because not every one of the THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of songs have ID3 tags, and most wont want to spend a whole weekend checking to see which ones do have tags and which dont

Well I don't know where your MP3s come from, but all my ripped CDs where automatically provided with freedb tags - no extra work. Also, music purchased from online stores always comes with ID3 tags. I'm not trying to imply anything, but that really leaves me wondering what your sources for MP3 files are.

I'm pretty sure that most people prefer ID3 based browsing, so I don't see why a minority of people (mostly those who illegally download music) should have their way with folder-based browsing. I don't think providing both options on a DAP is viable. From nomadness.net:

Quote:

Also note, even if this functionality were added it would fundamentally change the way the device works. If the Music Library based on tag data were to remain it would necessitate that everytime files were added a scan of the disk would be required taking a relatively large amount of time to check what files were present and to add the tag data. If the Music Library were to be removed then the device it would have to be navigated by folders and files instead, which would not be liked by a large number of users.

Dec 18, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 26
I had a problem of tags some time ago. I was ripping my cd's on a computer with no internet connection, so all my tags had to be written manually.. That's a time consuming task I say
plainface.gif

So with the not so important cd's I just but them in a folder.

Btw: This "no folder system" in zen xtra and ipod is totally new to me.. I was in a presumption they ofcourse support it. As it is obvious I was wrong, but no harm done on my part

tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mihis
I had a problem of tags some time ago. I was ripping my cd's on a computer with no internet connection, so all my tags had to be written manually.. That's a time consuming task I say
plainface.gif

If you had access to another PC with Internet connection (at work, school, wherever), you could have downloaded the complete freedb database in compressed format and installed it on your Internet-less computer; that way, you can use it without Internet connection. It's a huge download, of course, but might be handy for some.

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Here I am again wondering how come I don't get it. I have a Zen Xtra and have been making playlists using their software in the Music Library then transferring them to the player.

If you don't mind would you explain how to do this on the player.

Thanks

Hi john_jcb,

all you do is make your selected music the way you want your playlist and then from inside the selected music screen hit the scroll wheel. When the options pop up you have to scroll down to it because its the last selection in the list "save as playlist". Thats all there is to it. I was confused at first to because I wasnt scrolling down far enough to see the playlist option.

Hope this helps.

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

You don't need the internet to put id3 tags in your mp3s. What's so hard in typing in CDex or EAC the Artist, Album, Year, and Genre if in the end you get a very good listening experience in exchange afterwards. I had a little more than 800 hundred cds and I ripped them all over a period of time, I just had to prioritize and do my favorites first. i did them all while watching tv, reading a book, studying or something else so it's not as if I wasted time while ripping the cds. I did use remote CDDB to get data on most of them but I still had to edit all of them because I didn't like how other people type in the info in the id3 tags.

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #21 of 26
Old cds don't have cd text so one has to enter manually their id3 tag. Some times I even have to do it twice. On the actual mp3 file and on the mp3 track properties within the mp3 player. It's a pain.
I just burn about 100 mp3s on each cd and take it to work for listening on my computer. WinAmp 5.5 sounds worlds apart better than all of these mp3 hardware players together. Oh, and forget about their battery life! It's a joke.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #22 of 26
Since CDDB seems to love to tag Japanese CDs in kanji/kana these days, I have to redo the tags for every one in Romaji because my ability to read Japanese is not as good as I'd like it to be. =P

Dec 20, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #23 of 26
I did almost all 3000 songs on my zen by hand with no CDDB help (hell, I even double checked all of them), and it made my listening life easier.

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Here I am again wondering how come I don't get it. I have a Zen Xtra and have been making playlists using their software in the Music Library then transferring them to the player.

If you don't mind would you explain how to do this on the player.

Thanks

Making a playlist on the Zen Xtra is not that difficult…

First clear all the music in your selected music queue. The browse through your music library and add tracks in the order that you would like them to appear in your playlist. You can add by individual track, or by artist, album and genre. You can even add an existing playlist. When you are finished, good to the selected music screen, press the jogstick and the options menu will pop up. Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and choose “Save As Playlist.” Then use the joystick to give your playlist a name and when you’re done, click “ok” and that’s it. Your playlist is now saved for future use.

You can’t edit saved (existing) playlists on the Zen Xtra, but here’s a work around. First you load a playlist into your selected music queue. Then you can add, delete and move songs in the playlist. When you’re done, save it as a new playlist. Then delete the old one.

cool.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #25 of 26
Also, for individual tracks (or full albums) MusicMatch has the SuperTag feature (I think that's what it is called) which will look up the tags based on the song name or file name. So if your song is called "The Who - Pinball Wizard.mp3" It will look up those keywords in the database for you and hopefully find all the albums that song is on. You choose which and it applies the tags and album art.

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Also, for individual tracks (or full albums) MusicMatch has the SuperTag feature (I think that's what it is called) which will look up the tags based on the song name or file name. So if your song is called "The Who - Pinball Wizard.mp3" It will look up those keywords in the database for you and hopefully find all the albums that song is on. You choose which and it applies the tags and album art.

i use this app, and like it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back