Creative - Never again!
Apr 5, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #16 of 23
I have a MuVo Tx 256MB for about 4 years now, and the only thing that failed on me was the audio jack. The connection pin was not contacting the voltage divider for the volume control and the thing would blast my ears occasionally (I use SF5 Pros) at max volume. But I opened it up, rinsed the connector off in contact cleaner, bent the female pin back in slightly to add pressure to the head phone jack and everything is working fine. I’m guessing that the build quality of the earlier DAPs were much better before they started implementing “cost saving” schemes.

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #18 of 23
I live ~20 minutes from a Creative / cambridge store. Can I bring my player and OSR to them and handle the warranty repair through their store?

thanks!!
Garrett

Apr 5, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #19 of 23
I agree that their service is less than satisfactory. Bought a 2gb Zen V and the microphone doesnt work, so I emailed them. Then they said a lot of stuff about hardware warranty and how I need to pay $20 for inspection fee or something and possible extra $. I will also need to pay to ship the zen v to them. The 1 year warranty with them is useless. I will never buy another creative product again. I believe that one bad experience is enough (especially a big company).

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 23
One thing that is always in the back of my mind is when the ZV+ battery dies. As you know, these batteries start "dying" the moment they're made. Typically a lifetime of 3 years is suggested by most Li-ion battery manufacturers, after that is a bonus. Sure, likely you'll have a different player in 3 years, but the point I'm getting to is: will players like the ZV+ be totally trash then? I have not seen a single report by Creative or anybody on HOW MUCH battery replacement costs, and if in fact Creative actually WILL replace the battery. Is it just a theoretical thing that they will never actually do? Many have asked, including on the Creative forums where some people must know for sure, never seen a reply from somebody who has had it done. Perhaps dead battery = new ZV+ at this point, but in a year or two if they're not making them... Things like this bug me. It is my rule to not buy things that use built-in or proprietary batteries (cough*SONY*cough), but for MP3 players it's sure getting tough if you want any decent features. Or maybe there are so many other things to fail in the ZV+ that it shouldn't outlive the battery anyway (the OLED screen comes to mind)?

Edit: It is nice to see people posting some positive experiences in this thread, usually you would expect the title to attract lots of slagging. I have not had any functional problems with the 2 Zens I have now, but they aren't very old and I treat them pretty well.

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #21 of 23
I have a Creative Rhomba I bought like over 3 years ago. It "died" a few times on me but it was able to bring itself back to life all those times. It still works great actually! Battery still holds an excellent charge too and not to mention the sound quality is better than the recent Zen V+ I bought from Creative, which I'm kind of mad about though.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #22 of 23
i do think that creatives warranty leaves much to be desired.

all companies that sell these type of gadgets should be forced to have a 2 year warranty like in europe i think.

seriously, you drop $300 for a phone/mp3 player/etc and have to deal with terrible warranties? it just doesnt seem right.

but i did have a positive experience with creative rma. well mostly positive. my player died, they of course sent me insturctions to do this that and this, which i had already. then i just said ok it doesnt work so i got an rma going.

i didnt get my player back for just over 3 weeks, but nobody hassled me.

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 23
I guess I'm lucky.

Bought a Nomad Jukebox in early 2002. Still runs perfectly.

Bought a Nomad Jukebox 3 in mid 2002. Still has the original Li-Ion batteries. I still use this player nearly every day. The only issue is the earphone jack which I have fixed myself. The batteries still hold 90% of their juice (20 hours). This player will be five years old this summer.

Bought a Muvo Squared about three years ago. Still runs perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back