Creative Live 24bit opamp / cap mod
Jan 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
Great thread!

I happen to own one of this buggers! I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. It's a shame this card it's not supported by the kX project, I would like to try the driver, but well...
Anyway, curious thing, when I first installed the card, I didn't have internet so Windows didn't installed it automatically, then I searched a bit and found out that Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio it's very similar, so I downloaded it's drivers and force windows to install them. Worked perfectly, except it didn't show the jacks information. Later on windows update offered a driver update, and I'm using the "normal" driver now.

I'll mess with it after I mod my card, but I'm not sure how to start.

What opamps and capacitors should I use? I heard at another thread that film capacitors are much better, but I researched for types of capacitors and there are so many!
I'm a PC hardware distributor and have access to dead motherboards which have many kinds of capacitors. =D

What should I look for? Big ass values? Solid ones?

The big green capacitors I see replaced at the pics are all the front green jack uses?

Audio grade caps are your best bet. I recommend Nichicon's muse series or if you have the money Rubycon Blackgates. I would stay away from large capasitance and go for quality.

Quote:
hey to what you changed those stock buffer caps for the opamps  22uF? I'm thinking about to upgrade my audigy platinum too. thanks

I used 220uF Nichicon Muse caps for the opamp buffers and decoupling caps.
Sorry for the delay, I was moving and I just now got internet back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #17 of 20

Quote:

Audio grade caps are your best bet. I recommend Nichicon's muse series or if you have the money Rubycon Blackgates. I would stay away from large capasitance and go for quality.

i'm agree with your statement.. :D so how's your soundblaster performace now ?

nowdays its very hard to see people mod audigy series or soundblaster series..

i want to share too,,hope this will be useful.. just completed my audigy 1(sb0230----> people say this is dell OEM)

i'm using opamp 4560 for front & rear channel,, forgot it's JRC or LM.. but it's a cheap n nice performer opamps i think.. the center/sub opamp haven't changed,,but i have a spare AD8066...

for caps u can see yourself.. it's pana fc , pana hfz (the dark big blue one) , elna silmic II , oscon.. the capasitance is the same with stock caps,, only the voltage is bigger.. 

i'm thinking to change the panasonic hfz caps,,what caps do you recomend ? the candidate are elna silmic II , elna cerafine (i dont know this caps characteristic)

*sorry for my bad picture & bad english

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:
i'm agree with your statement.. :D so how's your soundblaster performace now ?

nowdays its very hard to see people mod audigy series or soundblaster series..

i want to share too,,hope this will be useful.. just completed my audigy 1(sb0230----> people say this is dell OEM)

i'm using opamp 4560 for front & rear channel,, forgot it's JRC or LM.. but it's a cheap n nice performer opamps i think.. the center/sub opamp haven't changed,,but i have a spare AD8066...

for caps u can see yourself.. it's pana fc , pana hfz (the dark big blue one) , elna silmic II , oscon.. the capasitance is the same with stock caps,, only the voltage is bigger.. 

i'm thinking to change the panasonic hfz caps,,what caps do you recomend ? the candidate are elna silmic II , elna cerafine (i dont know this caps characteristic)

*sorry for my bad picture & bad english

Hi, i know has been a while and in fact, you only posted 1 post on forum :p
so i might be asking for a miracle if you see this post, BUT, you have the instruction how you mod your audigy? i havent found anything so far over web

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #19 of 20
After a lot of research and testing I have fixed the dreaded creative crackling sound problem.

The Audigy 2 suffers badly with this as well.

Here is the 100% fix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUcQkAmIv2g

The caps are too small on the power regulators causing ripple instability.

In the case of this board look at bottom rH corner and replace caps

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #20 of 20
Replace the small caps bottom RH corner with 100uf 50v electrolytic. Problem fixed. Be careful to insert noting polarity ie the negative stripe on the cap must be in same whole. Dont think rest of board is where problem is. Only around the power regulator devices.

This effects audigy 2 as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back