Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card
Mar 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tony8404

New Head-Fier
okay, i have a Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card does not have the 5.25 add on. I was under the impression that this card did digital ? i know it does not have optical or coax, but does have a digital output connector. on the back of the box it shows it being connected to a receiver not sure if it is digital though but wouldnt that mean i would be able to play games in digital with this card if it were connected to a digital ht receiver or decoder unit? wondering incase i cannot do digital gaming with this card so then i do not go and buy a receiver for nothing.... also, what speakers would you recommend using with this beast? right now i have creative inspire 6.1 6600's.thanks

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 15
The Mic/Line input can be set to digital output, in which case you just use a mini-to-rca adapter to get the digital coaxial output. However, it won't pass a surround sound DD or DTS stream via the digital outputs though, just 2 channel PCM. Otherwise you'll have to use the analog outputs for multi channel output.

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mic/Line input can be set to digital output, in which case you just use a mini-to-rca adapter to get the digital coaxial output. However, it won't pass a surround sound DD or DTS stream via the digital outputs though, just 2 channel PCM. Otherwise you'll have to use the analog outputs for multi channel output.

Of course it'll also pass through dd & dts streams, if you deactivate the integrated decoders - what you won't get via digital out is multichannel game sound (DS3D, EAX).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course it'll also pass through dd & dts streams, if you deactivate the integrated decoders - what you won't get via digital out is multichannel game sound (DS3D, EAX).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Correct, but it wont encode 5.1/7.1 positional gaming audio to the dd/dts stream. It will pass dd/dts streams from DVD's and whatnot.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 15
so to get digital from my card i have to connect to the digital/mic io from the sound card to a receiver or a decoder or what? and what do you recommend would sound better for games the digital or keep it like i have it? i was thinking of getting the logitech 5300e speaker system would that be a good choice for this card?

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony8404 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so to get digital from my card i have to connect to the digital/mic io from the sound card to a receiver or a decoder or what? and what do you recommend would sound better for games the digital or keep it like i have it? i was thinking of getting the logitech 5300e speaker system would that be a good choice for this card?

There's no such thing as "digital sound." Sound is analog. Something has to do the conversion from digital to analog (D/A), and it's your choice which device does it. Imagine you have a receiver with analog and digital inputs, and you have the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty, which has analog and digital outputs. You have three options:

1. Let X-Fi do the conversion from digital to analog and send the analog signals to the receiver's RCA jacks (assuming it has analog surround inputs if you want surround sound).

2. Let the receiver do the conversion; send the digital signal from the X-Fi to the receiver's digital input, where the receiver converts it to analog.

3. Best Option: Let the X-Fi do the conversion from digital to analog and connect its analog outputs to surround computer speakers like the ones you have.

If you do the second option (digital output -> receiver), you won't get EAX effects, which pretty much negates your reason for buying the card.

Have you ever heard Logitech's surround systems? In my opinion, they're overrated and overpriced.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no such thing as "digital sound." Sound is analog. Something has to do the conversion from digital to analog (D/A), and it's your choice which device does it. Imagine you have a receiver with analog and digital inputs, and you have the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty, which has analog and digital outputs. You have three options:

1. Let X-Fi do the conversion from digital to analog and send the analog signals to the receiver's RCA jacks (assuming it has analog surround inputs if you want surround sound).

2. Let the receiver do the conversion; send the digital signal from the X-Fi to the receiver's digital input, where the receiver converts it to analog.

3. Best Option: Let the X-Fi do the conversion from digital to analog and connect its analog outputs to surround computer speakers like the ones you have.

If you do the second option (digital output -> receiver), you won't get EAX effects, which pretty much negates your reason for buying the card.

Have you ever heard Logitech's surround systems? In my opinion, they're overrated and overpriced.

So by having x-fi -> optical -> emu 1212m -> analogue, i would not get EAX effects?

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So by having x-fi -> optical -> emu 1212m -> analogue, i would not get EAX effects?

I don't personally own this setup, but from what I've read, EAX effects are not passed through the X-Fi's digital outputs. Only someone with that setup can say for sure, and I remember seeing a few people discussing it.

It seems like the benefits of using the X-Fi card would be gone if it's only being used as a transport. Consider the CPU overhead and potential driver conflicts with two sound cards decoding simultaneously, especially since the 1212M isn't optimized for gaming.

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't personally own this setup, but from what I've read, EAX effects are not passed through the X-Fi's digital outputs. Only someone with that setup can say for sure, and I remember seeing a few people discussing it.

they do get passed through the digital outputs. all effects pass into the digital.

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #14 of 15
Ah, well there you have it... Another possible option.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It'll work for stereo, but not for multichannel EAX.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back