Creative Labs SoundBlaster Model No SB0490 USB external
Apr 17, 2016 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shalmaneser1

New Head-Fier
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Model No SB0490 USB external N10225
I've had this thing since the beginning of time. Back when they cost $25 instead of the $100+ they now retail for.
Does it qualify as a headphone amp? A passthrough preamp?
Here's the support URL 
http://support.creative.com/manuals/download.aspx?nDownloadId=9101&prodName=SB%20Live%2024%20Bit%20External%20USB%20Users%20Guide%20English
What sort of headphone would be suitable? I've gone through a couple of Sony MDR-7506's and a Sennheiser 280 pro and wonder if I can do better w/o changing the soundblaster.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 4
I doubt the (SB 0490) Sound Blaster Live 24-bit external sound card comes with what I would call a true headphone amplifier.
But it should easily drive 32-Ohm headphones and I would assume it could also drive 60 ~ 65-Ohm headphones (7506/280 Pro).
Could you plug better headphones into it and get better audio quality, I would say yes.

You could plug an external headphone amplifier into the Live 24-bit's Front Speaker jack, would not have surround sound, but not need for music.

I would assume a $70 FiiO Q1 would offer better audio quality, over the Live 24-bit.

What is your over all budget for improving audio quality?

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for responding.

I do use the SB's 5.1 ports and optical port when running the home theater, but that's a different conversation.

I've found it hard to replace the MDR sound in the $100 range. Ideally I'd like a less fragile MDR-7506 because I like to fall asleep in headphones and the MDRs just can't take that. Few headphones can. Earbuds and their ilk are not an option. 

As for price, that's a matter of finding the physical robustness matched with the 7506 audio level. 

One could extrapolate on what the amp is capable from the specs on USB wattage standards, but it's outside my skill set and I think there are unknowns within the standard. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for responding.
I do use the SB's 5.1 ports and optical port when running the home theater, but that's a different conversation.
I've found it hard to replace the MDR sound in the $100 range. Ideally I'd like a less fragile MDR-7506 because I like to fall asleep in headphones and the MDRs just can't take that. Few headphones can. Earbuds and their ilk are not an option. 
As for price, that's a matter of finding the physical robustness matched with the 7506 audio level. 
One could extrapolate on what the amp is capable from the specs on USB wattage standards, but it's outside my skill set and I think there are unknowns within the standard. 

Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphones, they sell for under $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back