Creative Labs Sound Blaster E3 review
Sep 20, 2014 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

germanium

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there everyone.

I have been sent a sample of Creative Labs Sound blaster E3 DAC/headphone amp for review direct from Creative Labs. I'm currently doing lots of listening to it & comparing it to my Sweet modified Sound Blaster ZXR sound card as well as on board sound from my Asus Z97K motherboard computer I built. I will also be comparing it with my Galaxy S5 as well as my girlfriends lap top computer sound card. Unfortunately I  don't have any similar (USB DAC amp's) type devices to compare this with.

A little bit about myself. I have never been able to afford super high end sound equipment but have always wanted to achieve that type of sound or even better with the kind of money I earn. I noticed the diminishing returns cost wise & all the hype for features some of which really don't really do much of anything to improve sound in a lot of cases that you get with really high end high cost systems. There were many years that audio companies went after specifications regardless of how they really affected the sound & some sounded quite dreadful as a result. Then there was and still are the fads which lead you & your wallet down the rabbit hole with no real return & yes, I followed some of them down that rabbit hole & I count them as a definite learning experiment+. Anyway it is tough to be in this hobby when the best money you have ever earned is 35,000 dollars a year which is why I started modifying my sound equipment to get the best sound for the money while staying within what I could afford. My opinions on many thing differ quite widely from many here on headfi due to all the experiments I have done in the process of trying to find the sound I was looking for. My experiments have started to pay off not in money terms but in headfi community where other people have tried my ideas & found that they really do work toward getting better sound.

Note this is not their top of the line USB/DAC headphone amp setup. That is the E5 which has a Cirrus Logic DAC chip specified at 120db signal to noise. This DAC is specified at 112db signal to noise & is made by Texas Instruments which makes the famous Burr Brown line of DAC's. One thing I like about Burr Brown  DAC's is that they don't use switched capacitor DAC's. They use advanced segment DAC's which seems to offer better detail & smoothness than the switched capacitor DAC's I have heard in the past regardless of specifications so I was actually very pleased to see this kind of DAC inside the less expensive model of DAC/headphone amp setup. It definitely has that Burr Brown type sound that is also present on the ZXR internal soundcard of my computer. In all my experiments to get better sound the Burr Brown's have always yielded the best results for me. Yes I have modified sound cards & CD players with switched capacitor DAC's in the past but never did I get the results I really wanted like I did with the Burr Brown DAC's.    

I did a little research on the parts used in the E3 & found some interesting properties with their choice of chips which just happens to go along with my thinking as far as what I like to see in an amplifier such as being capable of full direct coupling & this despite working from a single power supply rail. This is true of both the DAC & the headphone amplifier. Both create their own negative supply rails through a charge pump.

The link for the DAC is http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm5122.pdf

And the link for the headphone amp is http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX97220A-MAX97220E.pdf 

This unit also uses the Microchip PIC32MX series USB interface that supports OTG cables from portable devices that support that feature. It also supports USB 1.1 & 2.0 in asynchronous mode. The link for that is http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PIC32MX_Datasheet_v2_61143B.pdf.

I couldn't get the OTG cable that came with the unit to work properly with my Galaxy S5. It produced sound that was clean but only allowed very low volume. The unit did work well with my own OTG cable though with the Galaxy S5.

Update If I reverse the supplied OTG cable & attach it to the E3 & the red USB cable to the Galaxy S5 instead of attaching the supplied OTG cable to the Galaxy S5 the volume is capable of full output which is interesting.

I have no picture of the inside of the unit as I don't want to break it to get inside. I don't see any screws in order to do so however I can provide pictures of the packaging & contents. Maybe my contact at Creative labs can send some pictures of the inside unless the pictures would reveal trade secrets

Initial impressions are that it is very very good sounding giving my modified ZXR card a run for it's money trading blows depending on what trait you are listening for.

For example the E3's high frequencies are somewhat more pronounced but the modified ZXR is definitely sweeter sounding & equally if not more detailed. Midrange such as voices are again sweeter on the ZXR. Bass seems ever so slightly tighter though still robust in nature than the ZXR through it's headphone amp. Both the ZXR & the E3 are equally robust in their bass frequencies. Overall I have to give the win to the modified ZXR however my girlfriend actually likes the E3 better. She likes the more forward sounding high frequencies. The forward sound in the high frequencies of the E3 produces more sibilance than the ZXR but not obnoxiously so.

Compared to the onboard sound of my Z97K Asus mother board this is definitely a god send. There is absolutely no comparison. The bass of the on board soundcard was totally lacking & the overall sound was dry & lifeless on the motherboard sound option of the Z97K.  The E3 DAC/headphone amp wins in a very very big way.

Oops tried the other front panel connection & that vastly improved the sound of the on board sound, Still not as good but at least not so embarrassingly bad either. The confusion comes from fact that second output can be switched between headphone output or line-in or microphone. This headphone amp output though is definitely compromised compared to the one that only allows headphone hookup. Sound now has more bass now but a somewhat boomy type bass. Bass on the E3 through USB connection though equally pronounced is more detailed, vocals sound more open & airy instead of somewhat dry compared to the Z97K mother board sound. Again sibilance does somewhat rear it's head with the USB connected E3.

The sound appears almost identical to my Galaxy S5 but with way more volume capability. The Galaxy S5 actually sounds great on it's own but some times needs some help with volume as with most android devices they have limited output volume such that if you have an album that is recorded softly you may not be able to achieve the correct volume needed to enjoy music with out this sweet little amp. Like the ZXR the sound is a little sweeter on the GS5 than on the USB connected E3. The analog input from the GS5 to the E3 retains all the sweetness of the GS5 which is a very good thing. It tells me the headphone amp itself is very faithful to it's input. Sound from the Bluetooth connected GS5 to the E3 is the same as with the USB connection which is quite good.

The Bluetooth option for connection is a very nifty option & will work with most Android & Apple devices with any operating system in the last 3 years for either platform so even if you can not use the OTG cable you are not at all lost without the use of your E3 with these devices. NFC pairing works flawlessly as well.

I will be adding more to this review as I go as I haven't had much time with it yet.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 35
How did you find out that the E3 is using the PCM5122? I looked all around but couldn't find any information about the DAC.

Btw, looking at the spec sheet, seems like the non-bluetooth E1 uses the PCM5121 with 106dB.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 35
How did you find out that the E3 is using the PCM5122? I looked all around but couldn't find any information about the DAC.

Btw, looking at the spec sheet, seems like the non-bluetooth E1 uses the PCM5121 with 106dB.

Along with the E3 I was sent the reviewers handbook which had the DAC & amplifier info. The PDF files I linked I had to look up myself. That is where I found out they were using a charge pump to create the negative voltages which would allow full direct coupling both DAC to amp & amp to headphone output. Not sure if that was in fact done but it does sound that way. Base is nice & full as well as having very good detail. Can it get even better? Yes but not a whole lot better!

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 35
Thanks for the write up.  Any opinions on the sound blaster omni?

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 35
hi there, is it stated on the box or somewhere else the output impedance?

also it's a shame the highs feels pronounced, I had the same problem with the E10K, it made the X2 sound fatiguing to me

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 35
  hi there, is it stated on the box or somewhere else the output impedance?

also it's a shame the highs feels pronounced, I had the same problem with the E10K, it made the X2 sound fatiguing to me

Output impedance is not stated anywhere but sounds like the output impedance is low enough not to be a problem. Output impedance would have to be low to get high output from such a low voltage power supply voltage. They do not boost voltage with the charge pumps, just create an equal negative voltage to that supplied by the internal battery.

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 35
I just got the Soundblaster E3 amp, mostly to work with my Bose Quiet Comfort 3s. My previous bluetooth DAC (Audio Tecnika AT-PHA-05BT) wasn't powerful enough to drive them.

So far, very happy. I'm using it with my Nexus 7 tablet and HTC One M8.

A couple of notes:

* Many otherwise standard USB-Micro usb cables don't seem to work with the E3. Most will only work to charge, they won't work to hook it up as a USB-DAC.  So if you encounter issues, use the included red USB cable first to make sure it isn't a problem with your USB cable.

* Even when hooked up with the included USB-OTG and USB-MicroUSB cable, my M8 can't quite operate in USB-DAC mode. Sound will output but I can't control the volume (it's either moderate volume or mute). Hoping that Android 5.0 will fix this.

Happy to answer any questions people might have about it.

Karen

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 35
I just got the Soundblaster E3 amp, mostly to work with my Bose Quiet Comfort 3s. My previous bluetooth DAC (Audio Tecnika AT-PHA-05BT) wasn't powerful enough to drive them.

So far, very happy. I'm using it with my Nexus 7 tablet and HTC One M8.

A couple of notes:

* Many otherwise standard USB-Micro usb cables don't seem to work with the E3. Most will only work to charge, they won't work to hook it up as a USB-DAC.  So if you encounter issues, use the included red USB cable first to make sure it isn't a problem with your USB cable.

* Even when hooked up with the included USB-OTG and USB-MicroUSB cable, my M8 can't quite operate in USB-DAC mode. Sound will output but I can't control the volume (it's either moderate volume or mute). Hoping that Android 5.0 will fix this.

Happy to answer any questions people might have about it.

Karen

Try reversing the supplied cables direction. It does make a difference which direction they are connected. My Galaxy S5 & Galaxy note 4 would only work properly if the red cable was connected to the source device.

When connected as an USB DAC the E3 will also act as a USB charger to the phone or tablet, this will deplete the E3's battery in short order unless the source device is fully charged. If the cord is plugged in the other direction the E3 will be charged if not already fully charged but will output low volume. It is still acting as an USB DAC but with very limited volume. This connection will deplete the source device battery if the E3 is not fully charged.

My recommendation it to use the Bluetooth option as that does not compromise battery life of either device & if you go into Bluetooth settings for the E3 & turn off phone audio your music will not be interrupted by the phones system notifications however you will not be able to answer the phone through the E3's Bluetooth connection.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 35
I found the direction of the USB-OTG cable to matter as well as the brand of cable for portable device -> E3 -> phones.

Not sure why, but the red USB (micro male to male A) cable is the only one that I've found to consistently work for a computer -> E3 -> headphones setup.

Bluetooth works but diminishes some of the advantage of a 24-bit / 96kHz full digital uncompressed connection  in the E3 that's possible with the E3.

A direct connection (standard 1/8" audio cable) also works great but then relies on the DAC in the portable, and uses the E3 as an amplifier.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 35
Hi folks, I'm considering the purchase of an E3 to mate with my Yamaha Pro-500 headphones to use for listening to action movies in my home theater via APTx Bluetooth.  Have a couple of questions.

1) I've read that you can plug this into a computer and use the Sound Blaster software to customize the built-in equalizer.  Is this customization retained after the DAC is removed from the computer?  Or does the custom EQ settings only work while the DAC is attached to the computer?

2) Are there any "bass-boost" type buttons on the E3?

3) How is the amp strength when compared against something else tiny, such as the Fiio E6?

Many thanks,
-Eddie

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 35
  Does it have some battery indication and what happens if the battery runs empty?

Yes but exact level is only accessible on a P.C.. The unit shuts off & will refuse to start again until the battery reaches an adequate charge.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 35
In the meantime I have ordered an used E5 on eBay. But still I wonder if the E3 is small enough to mount it on the headphone. So you could turn any headphone in a Bluetooth headphone with the E3 and a short cable.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 35
How does the bluetooth connectivity option change the sound on this? Really interested in buying one to replace my new broken RECON3D USB I used on my desk for my Sennheiser HD25-1 II's, but at the same time also double-down and use it on-the-go for wireless connectivity for my MX 685 Sports while running, skating, or whatever.

With that last point in mind, how hard is it to shake the clip from, say a sweater or t-shirt?

(Also, if you're looking for one in Canada, seems only Canada Computers and Amazon have them in-stock...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back