Creative Introduces Sound Blaster X-Fi
Aug 12, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #46 of 81
I haven't kept up on the street value of soundcards in a while, what would be everyone's guess as to how the actual price of the gamer version would be after a month or two? I am tempted to get the $200 preorder but can't hazard a guess as to how the actual MSRP would adjust to once it hits Newegg and other online vendors.

Seriously though, I can imagine the X-Ram having a spoiler, Type R stickers, and come with a can of Mountain Dew.

Aug 12, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I will have to wait for the reviews before I buy this.. I highly doubt it's onboard DAC and 'crystalizer' will outperform a DAC-1..

Me too, won't buy anything at least before (edit i meant: IXBT/Digitlife) reviews it and a PCI-E version is released. I really think Creative is just trying to milk the money out of this card by initially only releasing a PCI card version. The people who will buy this card are gamers who want the latest hardware. Unfortunately most of them have motherboards with 3x PCI-e1 slots and only 2-3 PCI-slots which already might be filled by TV tuners, Raid adaptors etc.

I still somehow don't think it will be anywhere near E-MU 0404 performance for music alone, based on the fact that every sound blaster card that has been released was more or less hyped up. But let's wait for some honest, unbiased reviews....

Aug 13, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomase
The September issue of Computer Gaming World has some X-Fi sound samples on the included DVD that have been pre-processed by the X-Fi algorithms. The HRTF voodoo is better than Dolby Headphone. Find a copy and try it out.

Is it possible that you can rip these samples and email them to me? I went to 2 stores and couldnt find that mag.

Aug 13, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #51 of 81
thomase,

could you post the samples?

CVG doesn't come with the cover discs where I live
frown.gif

regards,
halcyon

PS Daroid, If you're going to wait for the PCI-E version, don't hold your breath. X-Fi was started and finished as a PCI design, according to Creative. I don't think Creative even has enough of PCI-E experience yet to design a good PCI-E card. If their first PCI-E card is as good as their first PCI card, it's not going to be pretty
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #54 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by tschanrm
Not to be overly critical of Creative's marketing team, but has anyone looked at the X-fi comparison chart?

http://www.soundblaster.com/products...Comparison.asp

Not the best idea to call your previous generation sound card's "Average" and "Poor"
blink.gif
confused.gif

blink.gif
What a way to treat their customers.
I think i'll pass on their soundcard line-up for a very long time, the company is completely incompetent and is trying everything to sell a new product.. even bash their older products. That's class
icon10.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #55 of 81
CMSS-3d has sucked totally on the current gen Creative cards.
Forget it if its new incarnation is likely to be based on the same algorithm.

I think that the headphone CMSS is nothing but a tweaked version of Sensauras Headphone Theater ( a program that you could BUY directly from Sensaura) and wasnt bundled with your retail cards.
It had separate settings for your ear size,shape and all.

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

I think that the headphone CMSS is nothing but a tweaked version of Sensauras Headphone Theater ( a program that you could BUY directly from Sensaura) and wasnt bundled with your retail cards.
It had separate settings for your ear size,shape and all.

My Turtle Beach SC had that sensaura ear size and shape stuff. It sounded nice too.

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #57 of 81
Good point. Its probably not TOO much better than Sensaura Headphone Theater. But I think it's much better than Creative's old implementation. Anyway, you can't get Sensaura Headphone Theater anymore.

link

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #59 of 81
A bit hard to tell when listening to it on my T42's speakers with two fans whirring away below it.
wink.gif

I'll post something once I've gotten back and slipped on my Audio-Technica open-air 700s (or are they 500s? I've forgotten).

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #60 of 81
You need to listen to it on headphones. Also, according to the readme, they should NOT be earbuds (or canalphones). Finally, make sure you turn off any surround effects or DSP effects - no CMSS for Creative users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back