Creative HQ-1300 first impressions
Sep 12, 2006 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sgrossklass

Headphoneus Supremus
So I scored a used pair of these inexpensive cans recently for, I guess, curiosity's sake mostly. While I wouldn't agree with the "like new" assessment, I'm not out an arm and a leg. I promptly connected the HQ-1300 to my bedside-fi setup (Kenwood KT-80 tuner, modified BTech BT928 amp with: 220µ output coupling caps, gain reduced by ~6 dB, output used as input with loopthrough resistors replaced by 10k --> another 6 dB less so channel imbalance finally is mostly a non-issue; output impedance 47 ohms) and had a listen.

The HQ-1300s are mid-sized and somewhere in between supraaural and circumaural, the earpieces are a bit larger than with the Beyer DT231. The Beyers are a good bit lighter though. Look and feel is a little cheap because, well, these cans are. The cable is fairly thin and the integrated volume control doesn't seem like the most robust job out there, but that was to be expected. Comfort seems to be decent, not on the level of the Beyers with well broken-in pads but OK.

Acoustically I'd call them semi-open, soundstaging reminds me of the DT231 yet you're well advised to keep the hands off the rear grilles.

How's the sound, you ask? Pretty good. I don't feel they have too little bass (though the output impedance might well play a role here, they're only 32 ohm cans after all) but in fact are just about right there - it's just too much contrast with many other inexpensive cans that have overblown bass I guess. They're still a little bright and a bit on the airy side, but still quite well balanced overall - quite a bit more so than the Beyers which I pulled out for a quick comparison. Soundstaging is reminiscent of closed cans presumably due to the cardboard back behind the grilles, so they're not as open sounding as cans like my HD420SLs, but still quite OK. Sensitivity is noticeably better than with the DT231s.

To sum it up, lini has been recommending the HQ-1300s for good reason. They are no match for "grown-up" cans like, say, my good ol' HD590s (I'll have a look for mods though), but for their 20...25 EUR or thereabouts they give pretty good, balanced sound. (Philips' SHP805 needs some EQ to tame its treble, it's got too much of a V-shaped EQ.)

Sep 12, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 4
...plus these thingies aren't as squeaky as a lot of Philips models and - despite the flimsy impression, quite a bit tougher as it would seem. Comfort depends a lot on the earsize, though: For my small to medium sized ears the earcups are fully supraaural, and the whole headphone feels very comfortable.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Thanks for the compliment/backup, btw...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 4
You obviously haven't had a K26P yet. Compared to that, the SBC-HP460 is not very creaky at all...

Coming back to the HQ1300, the earcups fit over my ears halfway well although they do not cover them completely. I guess I have a fairly headphone-friendly ear shape...
wink.gif
These cans are microphonic (solid plastic) but not at all creaky indeed.
Edit: To add to my sonic impression, there is some honk and hollowness in the mids. Asian folks seem to like that. Still, for cheapie phones, far from bad. Maybe I'll try to find out how to open these and apply some damping here and there. If the SHP805 had some potential left, why not these.

PS: There's a bit of tropo going on on FM here at the moment. Just a few days ago I could catch FM4 on 104.6 across the whole of Bavaria (in addition to the 102.1 that I normally get near Ulm), in fact I did again this evening. 300 km or so? AFN Stuttgart also comes in pretty well again, even on my bedside-fi setup that has its dipole directed elsewhere.

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Since I happened to drag out my modified SHP805, I did a little comparison to the HQ-1300. I must say that the two actually are quite similar sounding, with the SHP805 having more bass and the HQ-1300 being a little more spacious (probably due to internal reflections or the more open, less damped construction). I bet they both use drivers from the same stable. Neither is what I'd call perfectly balanced or hi-fi, they're both somewhat withdrawn in the lower midrange, a little honky and brighter than neutral - a far cry from, say, my HD590.

Oh, and does anyone happen to know how to remove the earpads without destroying anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back