Creative EP-630
Feb 28, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyramax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my EP630 yesterday and found they do not isolate noise as much as I had expected and I was wondering if I can get improvement via other tips with different materials and/or better fits. How much do these UE tips run?

Try using the largest tips and see if that helps. I had to use them to get good isolation and my ears are pretty average I think.

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 28
The EP 630 offer my kind of isolation for plane rides compared to my um1s and mx550s. They are a good middle ground, I think...you don't want to be completely isolated from your surroundings. I think you would find them to isolate just enough for the plane, and for other uses too.. and for under $50, it doesn't get any better than that! comfort, isolation, ease and price!

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #18 of 28
Some time ago I bought an EP-630 knowing it would probably be fake. Man, they really were fake. The cable was already loose in the first day, and the sound... terrible. Still in doubt, I decided to buy the CX300 by Sennheiser, this time from a certified vendor. These are excellent.
I have seen some comments about the similarities between these two, so I am curious to know: had anybody here heard them both? If yes, how do they sound? Are they really a "variation" of the same model? They are very similar in appearance, but what about the sound?
Btw: the only use I have for my fake EP-630 is when working out or running. I sweat a lot, so submitting a good headphone to sweat, sunlight and wind is too much for my compassionate soul.
smily_headphones1.gif
Even under these conditions I only managed to use them twice, because not only they get "slippery when wet", falling from my ears due to sweat, but it is also a torture to listen to the sound they produce.
My advice: stay away from the fake & cheap. They are not even close to the real stuff. People who say the CX300 or EP-630 are not good have probably only heard the fake ones, not the real stuff. Be sure you are getting the legitimate article, otherwise don't even consider buying them, you will regret. Someone might clarify this issue, but as far as I know both the Sennheiser CX300 and the EP-630 have similar quality.
About isolation: I can pretty much hear everything that happens around me when music is not playing. When music plays, things change: they don't isolate completely, but only loud noises will be heard and you listen at low volume. For the price, they are good. I am still waiting for my V-Moda Vibes to arrive, so I will be able to compare my CX300 to something more expensive.

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #19 of 28
i like ep630 better than my metro fi. i know the ue sound better in everyway but the ep630 fit me better. i've been using my metro fi for a couple months now but i still use the ep630 from time to time.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 28
They arrived!! I like the isolation, not as much as um1s but still very good. I think they would be plenty for planes and buses. Without burn-in, they are already very good for 30 bux. Bass a little bloated and highs a little harsh (compared to um1s) but i heard that calms down after some burn-in which is running right now.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #21 of 28
I bought some EP630 locally from some guy and they suck! It sounds so muffled without the eq. I was wondering if I bought some fake ones but it looked real. Oh well.
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by eky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought some EP630 locally from some guy and they suck! It sounds so muffled without the eq. I was wondering if I bought some fake ones but it looked real. Oh well.
frown.gif

Real EP-630s are not an audiophile product, but they are competent+ and are certainly good for the price. If the SQ is actually poor then they are faulty or fake.

Simon

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by eky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

You said local "guy" not local "store" theres a difference. Are you sure he is not ripping you off from fakes on ebay?

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #25 of 28
Well, after about 12 hours of pink noise burn-in (on real 630s), heres a non-audiophile mini-review:

Fit: Very small and low profile, especially when worn a la shure. I find it very comfortable, even for sleeping. It is closed, comes with three different sized tips, and is easy to tell when you have a good seal, which I like. The isolation is good, I think it is good enough for planes. I made my own sincher to secure the wires more, and this with wearing them over your ear virtually eliminates the originally terrible microphonics.

Sound: Out of the box, the highs were very harsh and I could not listen to "All Along the Watchtower" by hendrix because it was a little painful. However, after 12 hours of burn-in, the change is dramatic. Highs are now calmed down and much more detailed, comparable to those of um1s. Watchtower now sounds crisp and bright, much better than marshmallows.
The mids are only a little bit muddied. They don't have a strong punch but are very satisfying. Plenty good for rock IMO.
The bass is where these things accel. Out of the box, it was heavy, bloated, and slow. However, after burn-in, it is accurate, tight, fast, and still powerful. These are now my go-to phones for trance. They also make rock very satisfying.
Overall: I would describe these as closed, more up-front Vibes. They are very "fun" phones for all types of music while still being relatively neutral. They are definitely not analytical, but more for casual listening. For 30$, I would definitely favor them over marshmallows and if you want isolation and to save some money, these are great over vibes. Suggestions: definitely burn-in with pink noise, I like them worn a la shure for comfort and microphonics, a home-made sincher makes them more secure, and buy them from a trusted dealer, I have heard lots of stories of fakes.

enjoy!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #27 of 28
compared to the JVC marshmallows, i think they are pretty similar stock, but i like the treble better on the EP-630's. When i modified the marshmallows, it evened the bass out, but i don't think i have enough foam in the tip as it's a little harsh. But i do find the Ep's more comfortable. Unmodified, hard to beat for the price. Very similar to my JVC fx-55's actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back