Creative criticism wanted for this article
Jun 4, 2015 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Guppy_

100+ Head-Fier
  Holy cow; I tested a Beyerdynamic A200p DAC and headphone amp at the same time I had the iPhone 6 Plus in my audio lab, and the iPhone 6 Plus beat it! The iPhone 6 Plus has less distortion, flatter frequency response and much better ability to drive low-impedance headphones with low distortion than the dedicated portable amp!
While all iOS devices have always sounded great if you have good transfers, the audio output of the iPhone 6 Plus is now so improved that it sounds and measures about as well as professional reference DACs like the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, and better than manyconsumer DACs.
The iPhone 6 Plus even has flatter response than the Benchmark DAC1 HDR! Of course an iPhone and a plug-in-the-wall professional DAC are intended for entirely different pupposes, but if the 1 volt RMS output (6 dB less than good outboard DACs and CD players) and 3.5mm jack do it for you, there's no reason not to use the iPhone's output for critical listening.
The iPhone 6 is a better analog audio source than many audiophile products, but the cottage industry created around selling you DACs and other accessories you don't need doesn't want you to know. Remember that accessory dealers, manufacturers and publications that accept advertising from these makers have a vested interest in trying to create FUD about the iPhone's audio quality. Don't beleive them and listen for yourself.
Apple has more smart engineers and far more resources than any other audio specialty company. It makes perfect sense that the iPhone output should be spectacular.
No longer do you need to waste money on DACs and headphone amplifiers, at least for most portable (low-impedance) headphones. Save your money and spend it on moremusic instead.
Hint: Always leave the iPhone's level all the way up when using it as a program source fed to preamp.

I was googling for reviews on iBasso and other players and came up with this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#comp

Basically, according to this guy, we should all be using iPhone and through our dedicated DAPs out the window!!!  

And then of course theres this bit:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/audiophile.htm

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 15
The iPhone might measure well, but The mobile phones I have had till now don't give me much hope.
Before deciding whether the iPhone is better or not I'd like to do a double blind test. I haven't heard that many mobile phones, but what I have heard till now doesn't sound as good as my Fiio X1.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 15
  The iPhone might measure well, but The mobile phones I have had till now don't give me much hope.
Before deciding whether the iPhone is better or not I'd like to do a double blind test. I haven't heard that many mobile phones, but what I have heard till now doesn't sound as good as my Fiio X1.

One big undeniable advantage for the X1 over the iPhone is nearly 3 volts output versus 1 volt output.

Well I dunno, but from my blind comparison with my LG G3, my dx90 is worlds ahead in terms of clarity/definition/separation! 

What gets me about this article is:
The iPhone 6 Plus even has flatter response than the Benchmark DAC1 HDR! O

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 15
Well I dunno, but from my blind comparison with my LG G3, my dx90 is worlds ahead in terms of clarity/definition/separation! 

Probably the difference in the headphone amp power capabilities. In audio tests, the LG G3 measured very well in comparison to other phones, but the reviewers stated that the output level was lower than normal:
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3-review-1086p7.php

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 15
I've been following this guy's camera and audio reviews for years. He apparently worked extensively in Hollywood on film and audio production. He's very data driven, and has a pretty amazing collection of measurement equipment. He uses a Rohde & Schwartz UPL for audio measurements. I trust his measurements. He has opinions, as do we all; if you read him enough, you'll come to realize whether he has a similar viewpoint to yours or not. I appreciate the no-******** tone, and the separation of what matters from the marketing that's piled upon us. He was among the first I ever came across to point out how increasing pixel count in digital cameras is just specmanship, and can result in a worse photo when image sensor size is constant.

In this particular review, he is clear to state the 1 V limitation, and that his recommendation is based on the use of portable headphones. In his headphone reviews, he will always make note of whether a particular 'phone will run off an iPhone or similar, or require a dedicated amp.

Brian

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 15
Although I am an audio person, I am also a better photographer. This Rockwell guy is a well known "expert" in the photography world. His opinions mean absolutely nothing to real photographers. I believe his word would mean less about a subject that he has no experience in.

Please dont hit this guys website. Thats how he makes his money.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 15
When I seen Rockwell is getting into audio, im starting to puke in my mouth.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 15

1. L
He actually panned the Fuji xtrans mirrorless about four years ago. Now that about 20-30 percent of wedding guys have switched to mirrorless and about 90 percent fuji, he hss become a fanboy. God, i hate that pric%.

And please dont give me the auto focus bs. If you are a photographer its easy.
I still shoot a Leica iiif from 1953. I dont need a meter. I still focus pretty fast too. My xpro1 takes better pictures though. Could be the glass,

And then at the bottom of his ite he starts begging for donations because hes just there for "all of us" and he has to make a living. Give me a frickin break. This guy is a turd that must be shut down.

Havent been on his site for a couple years. His begging might of changed. Im not visiting his site to find out.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Ok , i just visited his site. He begs for money and is holding headphones. Used to be cameras, but he was exposed. Go after the audio guys now. .
WHAT A TURD,,,

Ok im out of here. I just want to state that this guy is a frickin piece of crap. He makes millions of dollars a year, and hes going after the headphone market now. He has probsbly never worn a set. But he will take your $$.

Last post

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 15
Brian
[/quote] He was among the first I ever came across to point out how increasing pixel count in digital cameras is just specmanship, and can result in a worse photo when image sensor size is constant..

What a frickin joke. This was a known factor two years before he broke the news. I think if you are a photographer you already know pixels don't count too much. Thre are so many more variables.

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 15
Although I am an audio person, I am also a better photographer. This Rockwell guy is a well known "expert" in the photography world. His opinions mean absolutely nothing to real photographers. I believe his word would mean less about a subject that he has no experience in.

Please dont hit this guys website. Thats how he makes his money.

When I seen Rockwell is getting into audio, im starting to puke in my mouth.

• L
He actually panned the Fuji xtrans mirrorless about four years ago. Now that about 20-30 percent of wedding guys have switched to mirrorless and about 90 percent fuji, he hss become a fanboy. God, i hate that pric%.

And please dont give me the auto focus bs. If you are a photographer its easy.
I still shoot a Leica iiif from 1953. I dont need a meter. I still focus pretty fast too. My xpro1 takes better pictures though. Could be the glass,

And then at the bottom of his ite he starts begging for donations because hes just there for "all of us" and he has to make a living. Give me a frickin break. This guy is a turd that must be shut down.

Havent been on his site for a couple years. His begging might of changed. Im not visiting his site to find out.

Ok , i just visited his site. He begs for money and is holding headphones. Used to be cameras, but he was exposed. Go after the audio guys now. .
WHAT A TURD,,,

Ok im out of here. I just want to state that this guy is a frickin piece of crap. He makes millions of dollars a year, and hes going after the headphone market now. He has probsbly never worn a set. But he will take your $$.

Last post

He was among the first I ever came across to point out how increasing pixel count in digital cameras is just specmanship, and can result in a worse photo when image sensor size is constant..

What a frickin joke. This was a known factor two years before he broke the news. I think if you are a photographer you already know pixels don't count too much. Thre are so many more variables.[/quote]

I sense your holding back mate
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 15
He seems to be quite clear of the iPhone's limitations, and is he incorrect about the measurements? From what I've seen on other reviews the current crop of iPhones, and indeed many of the previous ones are quite competent devices.

I don't see anything that needs criticising.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #15 of 15
  Don't know if they have anything similar in Manitoba but here in UK I like to think of KR as a sort of downmarket Rab C. Nesbitt  
wink_face.gif

Aye, lol. As an enthusiastic amateur snapper myself I learned long ago not to go near Ken's site. The only factual stuff is info that everyone knows already. I don't rate his photography either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back