Creative Aurvana Platinum / Plantronics Backbeat Pro - has anyone actually heard these and wrote up a proper review / impressions ?
Sep 19, 2014 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nidus123

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a portable wireless Over-ear solution with which i can take calls and listen to some nice tunes. 

I've been looking at these two: 

The Creative Aurvana Platinum:
http://asia.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-aurvana-platinum

Plantronics Backbeat Pro:
http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-pro 

I need something that is NFC/BT 3.0 or 4.0 
Closed or semi-open with good quality sound (pref neutral or slightly bassy) and nice soundstage and above average battery life (10h+)
...I do not like the MDR-1RBT nor the Parrot zik
Budget ~300$

Are there other alternatives ?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 9
I've been searching for almost a month or more to add a 'Bluetooth+ANC' to my headphone collection. Have you looked at the Logitech UE 9000? I was so close to getting the Creative Aurvana Platinum, but then I saw your post that included the Plantronics Backbeat Pro, which I never heard of. Many reviews that I've read compare bluetooth headphones to wired headphones, which at this point in technology isn't fair. Here's to hoping that a good review is out there for 'Bluetooth+ANC' headphones.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Haven't heard the UE 9000, but hear good things about them. I don't think Logitech makes them anymore and the battery life looks horrible.

I was looking at the Plantronics cause they also make very good noise canceling mics on their other products - so should be pretty good with calls even in noisy environments. Also the Battery life of those is pretty sick - 24h on a charge and the distance you can use them is about 
80-100 m - meaning i can go around the office, racing chairs and still hear my music :)

Sound-wise they should be more than fair - their wired headsets were not that bad indeed.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 9
On an impulse buy two days agoI bought the Plantronics Backbeat Pros.

I've had them now for about 24 hours and I have a few impressions as a non audiophile.

The sound is good. I'm not brought to tears by the emotions of the sound but then again I've had the Shure E215 for about a year and they are really beautiful in terms of they bring for their size.

I wont do an unboxing, that's been done. There's really nothing to add. I havent looked at the paperwork, but the cables all work and the bag is really nice. The inside is super smooth.

As other reviewers have said, the overall volume could be higher, the profile of the device would be smaller. I've been listen to music for at least 7 hours and when I turn the headphones on, it still tells me the battery power is high.

The noise cancelling isn't amazing but this is the first pair of active noise cancelling I've had so I dont have much to compare them too. I was working in a laminar flow hood for a few hours and they removed the noise from that brilliantly but not so much the conversation and background music I was hoping for, but there are limitations to the technology.

I tell you what, just ask me questions and I'll answer them. As much as I use this website as a resource I still dont really know what I'm doing.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Hey there, thanks for sharing your thoughts - i was wondering if the sound is as good or better than the rivalry creative headset (if you had a chance to listen to them both ofc).

Sound flat or additional bass involved ? Are the controls viable ? Is call quality good and do they cancel background noise for the receiving end ?
What is the battery life and distance you can go past (walls ?) before they start distorting ?

Basically - Are they worth the buck ? 

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 9
  Hey there, thanks for sharing your thoughts - i was wondering if the sound is as good or better than the rivalry creative headset (if you had a chance to listen to them both ofc).

Sound flat or additional bass involved ? Are the controls viable ? Is call quality good and do they cancel background noise for the receiving end ?
What is the battery life and distance you can go past (walls ?) before they start distorting ?

Basically - Are they worth the buck ? 

I'll have to report back when I've had more time with them. I'm really happy with my purchase at the moment anyway. Haven't tested call quality as I dont really make many calls.

There is no app to control things, a minor downside I guess. The feature where the music pauses when you take them off is cool, but can be overly sensitive. Like I'm just scratching my ear and the music pauses, and starts back when I put them on. I would like to disable that at times. I think the sensor is in the left ear cup, I presume if it's a proximity sensor like in phones, I could just cover it with some tape or something.

These are my first active noise cancelling headphones and I've only tried Bose ones in store before, rather than in a real environment.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 9
  I'll have to report back when I've had more time with them. I'm really happy with my purchase at the moment anyway. Haven't tested call quality as I dont really make many calls.

There is no app to control things, a minor downside I guess. The feature where the music pauses when you take them off is cool, but can be overly sensitive. Like I'm just scratching my ear and the music pauses, and starts back when I put them on. I would like to disable that at times. I think the sensor is in the left ear cup, I presume if it's a proximity sensor like in phones, I could just cover it with some tape or something.

These are my first active noise cancelling headphones and I've only tried Bose ones in store before, rather than in a real environment.

I was actually thinking of getting these headphones. I was wondering if by any chance you or anyone have tried pairing these with a Playstation 4. I'm in the market for headphones with all the features that the Plantronics Backseat Pro offers. However, the last thing I need is for them to work on a PS4 for voice-chatting. 

As for the music pausing feature, I read that the feature should be pretty easy to turn-off.

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Don't have a PS4 to test with, but I've had no problems connecting to anything else bluetooth.

I use them for skype and phone calls occasionally and no problems to report. No lag above normal.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 9
  Don't have a PS4 to test with, but I've had no problems connecting to anything else bluetooth.

I use them for skype and phone calls occasionally and no problems to report. No lag above normal.

Thanks for the reply. The PS4 is a bit selective of which bluetooth headsets it connects with. It has something to do with only 4 dedicated bluetooth connections for controllers. I suspect these headphones most likely won't pair. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back