Creative Aurvana Live! thoughts? mods? etc
Apr 21, 2010 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

n-ster

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought some CAL! through someone in the US for ~80$ (Costco deal + shipping to Canada + tip)

What do you guys think os these headphones? pros and cons? other reviews then ljokerl's one? What mods are possible for this pair of headphones? Comments?

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 9
got the denon d1001 which uses the same drivers. I think the SQ is pretty good. They give you some sweet and dark bass response + refined mids and high. If you like bassy stuff, they will kick the s**t out of AKG K518.

The CAL earcups seem to be bigger than the Denons, so I guess they'd be at least as comfortable (the comfortability of the D1001 is great).

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Excellent starter headphones. As it is a D1001 equivalent you can probably perform similar mods such as recabling, and any markl ones if they exist.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 9
I liked the CAL! until I closely listened to the bass defition, not good. The bass was 'fuzzy' and for some tracks you need good bass definition or else the 'fuzziness' takes over, really.

That is it, otherwise I liked the CAL!. You have to play with the volume settings because it is a loud headphone. I do not miss my CAL!, the replacement headphone serves me better.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 9
I am very new to this, so I am just looking for minor mods maybe... Though I like bass, it isn't the most important thing... I mostly listen to RnB and game
biggrin.gif
I also like treble a bit... I also ordered KSC75s for my portable needs

these will be my 1st quality headphones
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 9
I have both the CAL and D1001. Wife wanted my D1001's after hearing them, but the price had gone up since I bought them, so she got CAL's.

Sound is the same between them to my simple ear. The CAL padding is bigger with a smaller opening. Both are very comfortable due to light clamping force. Re-cabling is probably the only MOD I would consider, though, I'll probably buy another pair of headphones instead.

Bass and overall sound got a little better with better source. Zune portable mp3 player vs Headphone out on Receiver. I didn't have an amp to test with, but think the receiver had something better than my Zune. While amping isn't really needed for these if you start to hear things you might get a small headphone amp (will benefit future headphones as you move up).

I think they are great headphones for the Closed below $100 bracket.

If you are visiting this site though you are in trouble.... you can hand over your wallet now.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Thats is what happens to many forums right? xD See, I joine Techpowerup!, and now I'm buying a 1400$ comp... I joined this site, and I choose to buy 100$ worth in headphones
tongue.gif

How about Burn-in?

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Either i got used to the Bass or its toned down quite a bit since I got them a couple months ago. Either way I am listing to music more now and in theory able to focus on work more (got them for the office).

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Uhm, I had a pair for a good year and a half, and then they broke, so I got another one. They're EXCELLENT game and movie headphones, especially for the price. For the price, they give an excellent sense of space and air. Without considering the price, it's still pretty good. The treble is very well extended and quite linear, and the bass is a bit forward. I am told that the midrange is the biggest weakspot, but I don't have much to compare it with, so it sounds ok to my ears. It's one of those phones that impress your non-audiophile friends, and you'll probably instantly love them. You won't realize their faults until you've heard a much better audio source to compare them to.

I recabled the new ones and did the Markl mod adaptation from the Denon D1001.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...-d1000-353941/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mar...-d1000-350167/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back