Creative Aurvana Live headphones just died again and looking for advice on something new
Jan 18, 2018 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lazermatt

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I posted on here a looong time ago (2010) seeking advice on decent headphones for every day use, music/gaming/movies on a relatively low budget.
I was recommended the CAL and ended up buying a pair, which I have stood by since. The quality on them was a huge step up from what I was used to (some off brand headset from tesco probably).
I've gone through maybe 5-6 pairs of CALs over the past 7 years though as the build quality isn't overly great and I figured instead of buying another pair I'd come here and see if you guys know what the 2018 equivalent of the CAL would be, if there is one? I'm looking at spending up to about £60-80.
Thanks!

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 6
Realize I didn't give much info on what I'm after. I'm not using an amp or anything just plugging into my PC via regular 3.5mm or USB. I'm hoping for something over-ear and ideally closed-back as I game next to my partner. I checked out the CAL!2 on Amazon but read that the build and sound quality weren't worth the £85 asking price over other headphones of that price range.

Edit: Seriously considering buying Takstar Pro 82s after seeing them recommended in a few places here.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 6
You might also check out an ATH-M30x and see what you think.
Hey thanks for the suggestion. I just heard that the Takstar may not be very good without an amp which has put me off it a little but I don't really know enough to know for sure. M30x looks nice, roughly the same price as CAL! as I see it. As long as it sounds as good as or better than the CAL! I'm happy tbh as I'm currently having to use some old dodgy speakers.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Hey thanks for the suggestion. I just heard that the Takstar may not be very good without an amp which has put me off it a little but I don't really know enough to know for sure. M30x looks nice, roughly the same price as CAL! as I see it. As long as it sounds as good as or better than the CAL! I'm happy tbh as I'm currently having to use some old dodgy speakers.
Yeah, the M30x sounds solid for the price, IMO. Maybe read about it a bit (you may already have) and see what you think. It could potentially work.

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 6
What are You doing with those...
People like takstar pro82 if you need isolation.

I personally went from cal to koss porta pro and now I know I will never own other headphone as long as koss produces those lol. It's great. My fiancee has cal so I even compared them directly recently. They sound kinda similar by koss is fuller and bass extends much lower to the point, it sounds hollow on cal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back