Creative Aurvana for $60
Dec 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

donnyz89

New Head-Fier
I bought the Koss DJ Pro for about $85 at best buy (slight impulse buy, thanks head-fi). I'm happy with the sound and the comfort (I got replacement m50 pads), but the cord is really bugging me. I use these at home and listen on my computer, and the cord drags on down from the table and pulls down. Today, I see the creative aurvana live headphones for $10 less than a while ago, and I have free 2 day prime shipping. From reading the comparison review on HF it seems that they are evenly matched, but at the time the creative was $100. So I would imagine, for 60$, these are very high quality headphones? I plan on returning the Koss DJ pro (I kept the receipt for this reason).

as for sound, I'm not a huge bass person. Music I listen to range from Radiohead, coldplay, to paramore, vanessa carlton, and some classical piano. Nothing I would consider bass heavy. So clarity in the mid range is probably much more important than a heavy bass. From what I've read, both sets are good for this kind of music, so I'm not terribly concerned.

one more question, I think the stock pads on the creative are fine but can I replace it with m50s? is it better? and for $60, is it a pretty economical decision to replace the Koss? 

Thanks,

happy holidays all.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 4
The stock pads on the CAL are amazing. No reason to replace it.

The CAL is quite bass heavy, so I dunno if they will suit your needs.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 4
The CAL! shouldn't be a true upgrade from the Koss DJ100s -- they're both pretty good headphones in the under $100 bracket. There was a comparison posted earlier between the two that had the CAL! a bit further ahead, but it wasn't by a significant margin. I'd save my money and shoot for a higher end headphone, or a pad upgrade for the Koss DJ 100s.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 4
I vote CALs, the price is right.
If you sell the CALs in the future, chances are you will get most of your money back.

Are you using the built in sound on the computer?
Asus Xonar DG PCI sound card, $24 after mail in rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back