Creative AE-9
Mar 3, 2022 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RomaV

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Earlier I only read this forum, but I had a problem with this device Creative AE-9 and I contacted technical support, the answer that I received, let's say, surprised me very much. I post my correspondence with technical support:

Roma:

Hi,
I have some problem with Sound Blaster AE-9.
Unfortunately I broke the HDMI cable, I can replace the Sound Blaster AE-9 HDMI with regular HDMI cable?
Thanks.
Best regards,
Roma.

Stefani:

Dear Roma,
Thank you for contacting Creative Labs.
Please be informed that you might be referring to the ACM Link Port for the ACM.
Unfortunately, as this cable is directly attached into the Audio Control Model (and cannot be removed) and goes into the ACM link port, which is designed to be only connected with the Sound Blaster AE-9 Audio Control Module (ACM), it won’t be possible to replace this cable.

Yf1GYZVlbcGlslNIjZOeEb4eWU4onLhlOLfz2WOTL2P4kjfKQxO2S2iML9pP9FtAwt8hcC0tti5pyyzLQmxqcMNbQi1y7mgaM1yUCnh_xBew22YCsy-SI5FFLys1zCsSgKYDzoB1EtJa6kr4V1e_UAMxjwBzjwMZzzeTBg=s0-d-e1-ft

hSLA4ycb9_7mB8yZWJxphEsJ-aZf8-zKtucMhzoVJmMYBlNWUElqbJts3u_Fa-0zzQTrJAtPrjg3gaRQcVupBCVPK2xedwGb2i-3XGXZ0t2Q4NfJ796u2d_RQoeuDvP6C-UxmcfnGljbInbXAPWPrc4Y7j9qMuOMIHdnrw=s0-d-e1-ft

If the ACM link cable is broken as you have mentioned, you should replace the whole Audio control model (if available). You can provide us with your Country details, so we can check the availability and shipping options if you want us to.
If you require further assistance, please reply to this email and we will get back to you.
Regards,
Stefani
Creative Labs Pte Ltd
Worldwide Customer Response
Thank you.

Roma:

Dear Stefani,
I have an attached image of the ACM inside and as we can see this cable can be disconnected.
Product-AE-9-ACD-Inside-Components.png

I repeat my question, is the cable pinout the same as a regular HDMI cable?
I hope to hear an answer of my own, and not a proposal to change ACM.
Best regards,
Roma.

Stefani:

Dear Roma,
Thank you for your reply.
Please be informed that the ACM is not recommended and not intended for replacing the ACM link cable. It was designed as non-detachable, so replacing it with regular HDMI cable is not recommended and not tested. In addition the ACM link port in the sound card is a propriety port that is designed to be only connected with the Sound Blaster AE-9 Audio Control Module (ACM) attached cable.

We also do not have information on pins/components inside of our products.

Damage caused by normal wear and tear, or defects or damages resulting from opening and repairing the product are not covered by warranty.

https://support.creative.com/warranty

Damage caused by normal wear and tear, abnormal use or conditions, misuse, neglect, abuse, accident, improper handling or storage, defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, including without limitation, software changes, or modification in any way by someone other than Creative or its authorized service centers, improper use of any electrical source, undue physical or electrical stress, operator error, non-compliance with instructions or other acts which are not the fault of Creative, including damage or loss during shipment or transit.

If you require further assistance, please reply to this email and we will get back to you.

Regards,
Stefani
Creative Labs Pte Ltd
Worldwide Customer Response
Thank you.

Roma:

Dear Stefani,
''We also do not have information on pins/components inside of our products.''
You want to say that you do not know what you produce!?!?
I did not expect such an answer...
Best Regards,
Roma.

Question: Who is wrong in this situation? I'm a customer who wants an buy HDMI cable for $10 or if he doesn't have a standard pinout buy a "special" cable from the manufacturer or a manufacturer who tries to sell a whole electronics unit instead of a cable because of a broken cable?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Roma.

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 4
The amp on the module draws a ton of power, I think 80 watts. The module I priced with them was $123 and if you try swapping cable at the least it should be able to handle a lot of power.
If it's not available, I had an ae-9 without a module and you can line out using RCA cables and the headphone virtualization works going into an amp. I put it to a Magni Heresy but noise might be a problem if you have a hot video card causing coil whine.
I don't know if there's different power rated HDMI cables, but to carry the power to the amp on the ACM it's going to take a good one. I remember there was a reviewer warning not to try it though.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 4
The amp on the module draws a ton of power, I think 80 watts. The module I priced with them was $123 and if you try swapping cable at the least it should be able to handle a lot of power.
If it's not available, I had an ae-9 without a module and you can line out using RCA cables and the headphone virtualization works going into an amp. I put it to a Magni Heresy but noise might be a problem if you have a hot video card causing coil whine.
I don't know if there's different power rated HDMI cables, but to carry the power to the amp on the ACM it's going to take a good one. I remember there was a reviewer warning not to try it though.
I'm sorry I didn't understand what you wanted to say. Regarding the HDMI cable, this is a simple cable that costs $10...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back