Creative 1212m or Emu 0404 - Worth the price difference?
Aug 9, 2005 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sirnice

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my mp3 sound quality on my PC.
I currently have the Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro. I think the mp3 sounds ok but after reading in this forum that the E-mu 0404 will improve sound quality by miles makes me want to try it out.

After visiting the creative.com website. I see that they also have some higher end models. The 1212m. It cost about twice as much as the E-MU 0404. Is there a big difference in sound quality between the 1212m and Emu 0404?

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 12
I haven't heard the 0404, but almost everyone on here says it's a bit different than the 1212m, not necessarily worse, just different.
I can tell you that the difference between an audigy 2 and a 1212m is fairly significant.

Aug 10, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 12
what, colder?

base on my taste i will always prefer the 1212m, it sound more neutral. it certainly use a different sound chip than the 0404. its bass goes a bit deeper than 0404. the 0404 has more bass quantity and is more agressive. but sound quality wize they both arent lacking, with great details and wide soundstage.

i'll probably justify getting the 1212m if i would be spending a good amount of money on other audio parts as well. otherwize the 0404 is good enough performer. also don't forget you need an amp to use either soundcard.

Aug 10, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx

i'll probably justify getting the 1212m if i would be spending a good amount of money on other audio parts as well. otherwize the 0404 is good enough performer. also don't forget you need an amp to use either soundcard.

I have an ONKYO 5.1 Channel Home stereo receiver (which has an headphone out, optical in/out). Is that good enough to use as an amp?

Aug 10, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 12
Not to jump to the conclusion or anything, but I was under impression that only the vintage models from Marantz, Fishre, Dynaco and such get a nod for their headphone subsection. If you can find the exact model number, I suppose you could post a seperate question in the amps forums.

As for 0404 vs 1212M, i cant speak for the former since I have only tried my 1212M. Seeing how modding changes sound dramatically, I would suggest getting a 0404 and having it modded by a reputable DIYer here. My 1212M was modded and working beautifully, except it needs to be repaired now (anyone?
frown.gif
)

Aug 10, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirnice
I have an ONKYO 5.1 Channel Home stereo receiver (which has an headphone out, optical in/out). Is that good enough to use as an amp?

Depends. Which model? Only a few older models (including mine) had a headphone section with an opamp and ~140 ohm output impedance, many others (including e.g. the TX-SR-702) connect cans to the power amps via 390 ohm (!) dropping resistors, for a ridiculously high output impedance. Cheapskates...
mad.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Well, I went to Guitar Center today and purchased the E-MU 1212M. They let me pricematch it to $170 + tax. Not a bad deal.

This is one incredible card. 100% improvment in sound quality compare to my Audigy. I don't play games anyway so I'm gladly replacing the Audigy for better SQ.

I'm getting that WOW feeling. You know that feeling
3000smile.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirnice

what kind of onkyo receiver do you have? I have the TX-SR502 and its headphone out is actually pretty respectable. Sound is very detailed, but it lacks the authority to drive high impedence phones authoritively. The sound is kind of all over the place.
Don't get me wrong though - it still sounds fantastic. As long as you don't listen to a dedicated headphone amp you will be more than happy to run your setup through the onkyo.

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
what kind of onkyo receiver do you have? I have the TX-SR502 and its headphone out is actually pretty respectable. Sound is very detailed, but it lacks the authority to drive high impedence phones authoritively. The sound is kind of all over the place.
Don't get me wrong though - it still sounds fantastic. As long as you don't listen to a dedicated headphone amp you will be more than happy to run your setup through the onkyo.

I have this one.
onkyoHT-R500.JPG

probably similar to yours

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 12
actually it's almost the same - mine might be a bit younger, but they really sound decent. I couldn't for the life of me distinguish it from my cmoy. I tried really hard, but just didn't find a difference, other than that the receiver had a remote
biggrin.gif

Just use the onkyo and you won't be disappointed. It drove the senns easier than it did my grados which was really strange. Maybe it sensed that the senns were higher impedance or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back