Creating a switch to cut audio signal HELP!
Jan 7, 2009 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xderek

New Head-Fier
ok i have thought of this to cut the audio signal from my Piezo Transducer to my 1/4 female output jack.

i have my red and black wire connected to one prong on the switch and then a seperate connection to the output jack on the other prong

swtichinri3.jpg

would something like this work?

how do the two prongs on switches work?

EDIT::

switchin2ds6.jpg

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 11
No. From the looks of your drawings, the signal will just go in a loop, because both wires are connected to the same side of the switch.

I would only put the switch on the signal side, and leave the ground connected all the way through. You can only have one wire on each prong.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 11
That's a momentary switch There are two types
normaly on - so it breaks the circuit while you hold it down
normaly off - so it makes the circuit while you hold it down
Both types only work while being pressed
What are you trying to do?

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 11
^That's what you want. You were shorting the signal to ground earlier.

Think of the red wire as a water line, and the black wire as a sewer line. In the first example, the water would have just fed into the sewer through the metal part of the switch. Now it has to go through your transducer and switch to get back to the amp.

EDIT: Oh, didn't notice that the switch was momentary either. You want to change that too.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 11
not really sure what im trying to do yet, because im not sure how i want to use my switch, im probably going to use a rocker switch but arent

rocker switches and momentary switches the same to wire just different to use?

ok to make it clear i dont know if i want a rocker switch or a momentary switch yet but. if i do get a momentary switch it will be normally on.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 11
No point trying to sort a circuit if you don't know what you want it to do. just put down what you are trying make happen

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 11
ok so i went out and bought all the stuff today, and i picked up this SPST Rocker switch, it has on/off position

Radio Shack Number: 2750690

it has two prongs, and looks like this, but im not sure which prong is the input and which is the output... one is longer than the other.. like so...

switchonoffqz5.jpg

so which prong is input which is out?

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 11
really? oh so i guess its just like cutting the wire and then reattaching it, i get it!

it makes a lot of sense wow, that was a really dumb question lol. sorry and thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back