Creating a laptop based sound system
Nov 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

2bxfile

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm just new today on your wonderful site.

I hope that someone or a few might feel inspired to help me out with my goal below of building a high end laptop based audio system.

I have a couple of hard drives full of Flac files from CDs using EAC and want to use them to tie into a laptop based high end home audio system.  Does anyone have a system set up like this where their main concern was audio quality? I'll give you a little back ground information and wish list:

I will be using my existing work laptop for this which is a Toshiba A200. 
I will be using my USB 2.0 ports so I will be looking for an external DAC with this input. 
I do not listen to the audio through headphones but only out through the floor speakers and therefore will not need a DAC that specializes in headphone listening. 
As far as sound, I don't like bright interpretations but a little bit on the analogue is better.  But nice and clean with nice separation between instruments and nice wide soundstage.
I would be able to spend up to $500.00 for the DAC portion.
I will also need to get an amplifer.  The price is a little more open, but not too too much more.  I'd like to have enough power so I don't limit myself with driving speakers.  If the DAC has a nice pre-amp, then I would only need a power amp for my setup but if not then an integrated. 

So, I guess I'm looking for some suggestions for a DAC that sounds like it should be worth more than it really is because the sound is so darn good.  I know listening is subjective but sometimes there is a consensus on certain products and it is a good start for someone like myself. And I'm also looking for an amp that works really well with the DAC that I end up getting.

If you are kind enough to help, I'm a bit of a novice. So, if you can keep it simple I'll understand much better.

Thanks so much,

Chuck

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 12
Find a used Sony TA-E9000es audio/video control  preamp. All of its coax S/PDIF's are 24/96 and one optical input is too. Buy a Creative Sound Blaster  X-FI HD external sound card and you'll be able to go USB out to S/PDIF in, as well as S/PDIF to USB. Also, you can take your vinyl, if you've got any, and go direct from record player RCA outs to  the Sound Blaster since it recognizes the RIAA  EQ.  The amp is a 5.1 so you can enjoy not only stereo audio, but discrete surround sound too.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 12
"Your invention"? Sorry, I don't understand.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 12
This thread is of real interest to me.

I used to have a desktop computer but went over to a laptop. As I understand from friends who are IT professionals and use computer technology as source - the soundcards for laptops simply don't compare with those available for desktops.

I have a very good TT source - a Kenwood KD990 and a fully modded SS phono stage which gives a truly high end sound. If I have to I would invest in a desktop just to convert my 1000 LPs since a very good soundcard is vital to maintain quality - tell me I'm wrong.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Get a CD Recorder, perhaps a Tascam 901S.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 12
You are wrong because it doesn't matter whether you use a laptop or desktop as a source because in a high end system, you are not going to be using the computer's built in sound card anyway.  Instead you are going to be using an external DAC, such as a USB DAC which simply plugs into a USB port and bypasses and replaces the computer's internal sound card with something that is much much better.

Quote:
This thread is of real interest to me.

I used to have a desktop computer but went over to a laptop. As I understand from friends who are IT professionals and use computer technology as source - the soundcards for laptops simply don't compare with those available for desktops.

I have a very good TT source - a Kenwood KD990 and a fully modded SS phono stage which gives a truly high end sound. If I have to I would invest in a desktop just to convert my 1000 LPs since a very good soundcard is vital to maintain quality - tell me I'm wrong.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
If I have to I would invest in a desktop just to convert my 1000 LPs since a very good soundcard is vital to maintain quality - tell me I'm wrong.

What you need is a good AD converter.
This can be a sound card but can be a outboard AD as well.
You might have a look at pro-brands like RME
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index.php

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 12
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Wrong? That's a pretty strong word. Could be a sound card that comes with the computer will work great. Right now, I'm listening to the Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed,  the newly remastered version, from  my computer's mini headphone jack out to my home theatre system. I can tell you, for sure, this  download, which I transferred from LP to CD, and then to iTunes, sounds identical to the LP. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 14. My preamp is a Sony TA-E9000es with 24/96 coax and optical inputs so I could use a USB to S/PDIF converter but that would cost some money, which, it appears, from the fantastic sound I'm getting now, would be an unnecessary expense.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Hello:

Thanks for your responses.  I was rather hoping to hear of some external DAC suggestions such as the HRT; Matrix Mini; LD DAC 1 and also some suggestions for an amp for a set-up such as stated above.  Does anyone have any suggestions in these areas with personal experience?

Chuck

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 12
The term "high end" is relative. To get the best audio quality out of a notebook one must bypass the internal soundcard which is compromised by its components and its interaction with the rest of the circuits. Thus the use of a USB DAC is required. Nowadays you have many to choose from especially with a $500 budget. The rest of your components should also be of good quality in sonics to maximize the potential of your DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back