Crazy waterproof coating
Jul 23, 2008 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bonkon

100+ Head-Fier
It is called Golden Shellback and this thing is really wicked, watch the video. I can't explain myself how they do it, even when connected to speakers the touch works fine underwater. If it will cost $50-75 as the presenter said than I think it will be worth the price.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 13
I wonder what would happen if they pulled out the speaker wire out of the HP out, while underwater. Is it coated inside as well?

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what would happen if they pulled out the speaker wire out of the HP out, while underwater. Is it coated inside as well?

Well apparently when the presenter mentions the process with the vaccum he says that the device is coated on the outside and the inside.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 13
Read this elsewhere, but still, if the coating eliminates the possibility of one pin-out touching another pin-out to short, how will the dock connector work?

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 13
I hope that's really definitely water and not some dielectric water-like compound.. then again I have paranoid suspicions.

This would be GREAT on my Macbook if it came out sooner.. then the oil/moisture from my hands wouldn't be smudging the hell out of it right now (same with many Apple products, I imagine).

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 13
I sure hope this is available soon! My next laptop and iPhone would get it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 13
It sounds very similar to how a marine circuit and traces are covered with a spray on epoxy to protect it from the elements, only in this case a polymer is deposited under vacuum to isolate the whole device from the outside world. Water can't short anything if the whole path is under a protective layer.

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Just dip your Ipod in a bucket of silicone
wink_face.gif
rolleyes.gif
L3000.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 13
I have baseball cards this might be interesting for. I wouldn't have to worry about moisture damaging them. In the video they coated a piece of paper from several centuries ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back