Crazy violin music- can anyone recommend?
Jan 2, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 34
Try and get some of the music composed by Eugene Ysaÿe. He was a famous virtuoso of the 19th - early 20th century, and I like his music much better than Paganini's. It's extremely difficult to play, so there is not much of it recorded nowadays.

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 34
I don't know that I would characterize it as "crazy," but I think that "Dirty Three" might be what you're looking for. The music is purely instrumental. The violin is the prominent, lead instrument in every song. The violin on Dirty Three albums ranges from melodic, to rhythmic, to dissonance. I personally know some people who would describe it as "crazy violin music." I Love it!
cool.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #20 of 34
You guys beat me to suggesting Paganini (Mainly caprices, opera fantasies, and variations for "harshness", but his 6 violin concerti are absolutely wonderful; he was not only a virtuoso, but a brilliant, inspired composer, imho) and Ysaye (I really love the Shumsky recording of his sonatas, and I always get a kick out of that homage to the Bach Partitat #3). You should also look into more modern composers like Schnittke. His concerto grosso 1 played by Gidon Kremer is the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. Have a looksee.
It's a personal favorite of mine, call me crazy, and I know it's a re-release. But actually, if you want crazy violin, look into pretty much *anything* that Kremer does, but carefully, because there are some bad apples among his releases.
You could also look into some Prokofiev. More traditional and there's definitely a mischievous quality to some of his works.
Unless of course you want something crazy in the sense of La Ronde des Lutins, or a lot of Sarasate's stuff. They're not harsh, but they're certainly awesome, at least in my book. Ooh, and the Khachaturian and Glass concertos. There's plenty of stuff out there, if you're willing to listen.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #23 of 34
If you pick the first recordings from Jean Luc Ponty, with acoustic violin, they are not as pleasant as the rest, and they are pretty crazzy IMO, well, influencied by Zappa and the jazz monsters of that era, pick the 60's and you will have a good example of a crazy violinist....

Jan 4, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demetrio
You won't find a crazier violin than this: CURVED AIR

And, of course, the solo career of the Curved Air violinist, Darryl Way.

Demetrio.

Yes to Curved Air. I'm surprised and delighted to see someone else mention Daryl Way— I've got two 'Daryl Way's Wolf' albums on vinyl.

Two others: A great song is 'Out of the Blue' by Roxy Music, with that wonderful phasey electric violin solo.

And Kansas always featured a violin pretty prominently. I recommend their first 3 albums— 'Kansas,' 'Song For America' and 'Masque'— before they got commercial and way sucky.
600smile.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #25 of 34
Vanessa Mae is the worst thing ever to happen. The worst thing.

Jan 5, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #27 of 34
BOND is a cool all women band, they play alot of violins even some electric ones. their music is hard to get but its cool. its mostly remakes of older songs such as kashmir by led zep, but some of their stuff is crazier

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
Hey guys

Lately I've been wanting to listen to some violin. But i dont want to hear nice, soft, smooth, agreeable violin. i want harsh crazy violin. maybe electric violin. I'm not really sure exactly how to describe what i want.

Do I have the right guy for you....he doesn't know either how to describe what he plays...
biggrin.gif

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...qf5zfi3eh3k~T1

If you want to explore violin with some high energy forget Didier Lockwood or Jean-Luc Ponty ( my ears are still ringing from the last time I saw him, he was probably on the impression that he could take on Metallica....
biggrin.gif
) go for the original: Stéphane Grappelli in his early works and mid career production.

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back