Crazy Question
Dec 15, 2008 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zac_in_ak

New Head-Fier
I have seen a few cans that included wood in there construction. I have done some instrument building and am intrigued but havnt found anything in my searches that explain why can someone enlighten me to the reasoning or benefits? Resonance ect...do wood cans have a certain sonic signature? Do different wood produce different sonic qualities? Very intriguing I have some koa...hmm any diy advice?

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 3
The sound sig changes a little, as far as I am concerned, but it is far more about the fact that they look amazing.

Check out headphile.com for some cool mods for all kinds of phones. It isn't a DIY site, as it is run as a for profit business and he won't tell you how he makes the woodies or anything, but it should give you some indication of what can be accomplished.

For other info, post on the DIY forum here.

EDIT: saw that you mentioned koa in your post. There is a headphile modded dt770 on the FS forums in Koa. Really nice pics if you want to look at it.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 3
If you're purely looking at the loss coefficient, ceramics are the best in terms of not absorbing, changing, or damping sound. Of course, fashioning a ceramic housing is .. hard.

Wood is so-so, and metal (brass, etc) comes next.

But there are many, MANY more factors to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back