Crap! Anyone got a 3 pin US mains plug kicking about?
May 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Baines93

Headphoneus Supremus
Oh dear.

Just got my Headroom Micro amp. Went to re-wire the plug to a UK one, and in a moment of stupity, snipped the US one off, right up close to the molded plug, as you do, saving as much as possible (so can't put it onto a screw able wire joiner to join it back on, no wire showing) and forgot to check if the power supply can take 240v... Guess what, not switchable, 120V only, and i've just cut the connector off, and it's molded, sod it!

So, Maplins in the UK have step down adapters on sale until Tuesday for £9, cheaper than eBay, and I thought I'd get a plug in there, and have it all done and ready to use in a day, but Maplins only have 2 pin US mains plugs, so I need to get a 3 pin from somewhere online I guess. Takes time. Might as well order the better one on eBay that costs the same now. Right, so I look around for a 3 pin US plug (with the ground pin)... Simple right? Well you thought wrong. Only one on UK eBay, and it is £8... INSANE!

So basically, i'm asking a favour. Anyone got a 3 pin US plug they snipped off of an amp lead or something (unscrew-able one, or a molded one with plenty wire left to attach a joiner to) and replaced with a UK one? Still got it kicking about? If so please PM or post! I can pay if need be!

If you're in the UK, great, I can go to Maplins, get the step down on sale tomorrow, and then the plug will arrive a few days later. If you're in the US, i'll order the better step down from eBay, and they should arrive at the same time...

Thanks in advance,

Please help if you can!

Matt.

May 4, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 18
Like this:

| |

Sorry bout th artwork the dot is supposed to be under and in the middle of the two vertical lines.

May 4, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 18
I think I've got a huge one from my Audio-GD power lead. Let me check...

~Phewl.

May 4, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 18
Yip, one of these plugs:-

http://www.naimusa.com/cms/media/Pro...werline_US.jpg

Drop me a PM if you want it.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

May 4, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 18
If that doesn't work out I have cases of them, not as fancy, but will do the job.You can have it for shipping cost from the states. Let me know.

May 4, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 18
Audiophewl, thats perfect, in the UK too! So long as it comes apart... It does right? It's not molded anyway. Don't worry about opening it to remove the cable, unless it's allready off, just snip it off, i'll do it, unless for some specific reason you don't want to? Want some pennies for the stamp via paypal?

Thanks alot all, if the above falls through i'll PM.

Thanks alot AP!

Matt

May 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 18
It unscrews, and has no cable attached.

Don't do Paypal, as they've been a nightmare for me on occasion. If you really feel like it, just bang a quid in the post to me to cover the cost of post(unless you want it sent recorded delivery?). Drop me a PM with your address and I'll get it shipped to you the next day.
smily_headphones1.gif

ETA - whereabouts are you? If you're in the midlands, I'm right in-between Stoke and Birmingham... on the off-chance you're local...

~Phewl.

May 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Matt,

I came here tonight to apologise, as I forgot to pick up the parcel when I left home at 6am today. However, having just seen that it would be "a bit of a hassle" for you to make a contribution toward the cost of post - which, incidentally, would be more than double what I asked you contribute by the time packaging was included - I've decided that it is also "a bit of a hassle" for me to package the plug up, write out your address, find the time in my day to go to the Post Office, and find the money out of my own pocket to cover the whole cost of helping you out. I spend each and every day taking care of an elderly relative, who is unable to take care of their own needs - and have done so for several years now. And all for a carers allowance of £53 per week. That, in addition to your aversion of help toward the cost of helping you out, leaves me with little inclination to help.

OYAIDE P-029 Power Plug on eBay, also Adapters, Connectors Plugs, Audio Cables Connectors, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics (end time 13-May-09 20:44:21 BST)
OFFICIAL Oyaide P-029 power plug from Japan on eBay, also, Other, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics (end time 15-May-09 21:31:56 BST)

It seems you'd have done rather nicely from my offer. I hope you are able to secure another plug from elsewhere. Perhaps one of the above posters will be more lenient toward the hassles you face.

Regards

~Phewl.

May 6, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matt,

I came here tonight to apologise, as I forgot to pick up the parcel when I left home at 6am today. However, having just seen that it would be "a bit of a hassle" for you to make a contribution toward the cost of post - which, incidentally, would be more than double what I asked you contribute by the time packaging was included - I've decided that it is also "a bit of a hassle" for me to package the plug up, write out your address, find the time in my day to go to the Post Office, and find the money out of my own pocket to cover the whole cost of helping you out. I spend each and every day taking care of an elderly relative, who is unable to take care of their own needs - and have done so for several years now. And all for a carers allowance of £53 per week. That, in addition to your aversion of help toward the cost of helping you out, leaves me with little inclination to help.

OYAIDE P-029 Power Plug on eBay, also Adapters, Connectors Plugs, Audio Cables Connectors, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics (end time 13-May-09 20:44:21 BST)
OFFICIAL Oyaide P-029 power plug from Japan on eBay, also, Other, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics (end time 15-May-09 21:31:56 BST)

It seems you'd have done rather nicely from my offer. I hope you are able to secure another plug from elsewhere. Perhaps one of the above posters will be more lenient toward the hassles you face.

Regards

~Phewl.

Ouch.. Burnnnnnn.

May 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matt,

Regards

~Phewl.

Ah, sorry! I didn't realise it would be so much to package and post, or that those plugs went for so much. I really didn't mean to sound rude, or ungrateful.

I understand the troubles you face, I also care for my single father who is disabled and in a wheelchair with a large spinal tumour as well as going to school from 7am till 4pm each day, and working on school work until at least 9pm, and soon after sitting these exams, working as much as possible to save every penny for a car... It has been worse before so I understand, like when my dad broke his ankle and couldn't do anything for months, since, his mobility has not improved, and he is permanently in a wheel chair. I was doing his food shopping and walking back a couple miles on crutches with eight bags after dislocating my knee at one point
frown.gif
I understand what it is like, but it sure seems you have much more caring to do with very little money to do so. I am sorry to hear about your troubles
frown.gif

Sorry if I seemed ungrateful or rude, I genuinely didn't realise the cost of posting would be more than £1, and thought the £8 ebay plug was an overpriced listing, and that a plug wouldn't normally be more than £2, otherwise I would have offered to send some money to cover the plug and shipping.

By "hassle" I didn't mean it would be too much effort, just the fact that I don't like shipping things, especially cash, we seem to have an abundance of dodgy posties at the sorting office here, why I would have preferred paypal.

Also, you said "If you really feel like it" - to me this sounded like you were not too bothered either way. I obviously misinterpreted this. If you had made it clear that you needed a contribution I would have been more than happy to...

Sorry again, I didn't mean to sound rude, ungrateful, lazy etc. I didn't mean it was too much effort to contribute, as I realise it is often effort to get to the post office, I know how hard it can be sometimes, I hate selling things for this reason, as my last post goes at 4.30, and I step off of the bus at home about a mile from home, and two from the post office in the opposite direction! It is very hard to make it there at all once I have got home, changed, the package sorted, back out, and have walked there...
redface.gif

Once again, I didn't mean to seem the way I maybe did.

Sorry
redface.gif

Matt

May 7, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 18
No worries Matt, it'll get shipped tomorrow. I'd not have given you my address to cover the cost of postage anyway, as it really makes no odds to me. It is, however, not particularly pleasing to read that someone appears flippant about covering the costs of their "freebie". Hence my frustration - I just figured "heyyy... 'a bit of a hassle'? What kinda stunt is this guy trying to pull?"

Anyway... no worries Matt. I hope your fathers' health improves in the near future.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

May 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will gladly cover it if you would lf: you want/need me to?

Just pay it to my paypal account
tongue.gif
. Ill send you something when they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back