craigslist gold: new c-9's in the house
Jun 21, 2007 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i just hooked up some energy c-9's i got off a lady on craigslist. she took my first offer at $300, and that i did not expect. i'm so stoked. perfect condition, sound lovely; i sat mezmerized listening to pink floyd's PULSE dvd as well as some acoustic "everything but the girl" and some miles davis

anyway, man am i stoked; i love craigslist; buying used gear from wealthy orange county folk is the best; they were moving and had to get rid of the speakers; she had the corresponding center channel but i am just doing stereo

anyway, want to share my stoke
smily_headphones1.gif
i've never had speakers NEARLY as good as this before, and i'm reeling; as much as i've liked the headphone rigs i've had, i've got to say that i find this much more pleasing at the moment; as always, i have the great fight over: not being able to position speakers correctly for all my listening positions VS not being able to drag my headphone rig around to the same listening spots
smily_headphones1.gif
, after listening to some binaural stuff it's really quite amazing what headphones are capable of IF ONLY music were recorded for phones, alas, it is not........ ho hum....... if only with bluray, or hddvd, or sacd, or whatever, they would include a "binaural" version, along with the 5.1, 6.1 or however it is; you'd almost think someone would wize up since today so many people listen to music primarily on their ipods and whatnot; on one hand that could inspire more headphone-centric recording, but of course those same people are often listening to very ****** music in 92kbps mp3............stolen off the internet............but i digress
wink.gif

now to hook up my zhaolu dac and find myself a nice vintage amp and i'll really be rocking
smily_headphones1.gif

peace

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 13
i see a great future in buying the leftovers of the type-A overachievers
wink.gif

just want to say: check craigslist, or your local paper, or both, or everything; there's a lot of great stuff to be found; perhaps not headphones so much, but just about anything

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the tip. I never heard of Craigslist before. Will have to start checking it out
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 13
Yup, I've gotten a few great deals off of CL.

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Welcome to the C-9 club. Wait, was it just me?
tongue.gif

I was using the Insignia bookshelves before with a cheap Sony sub. Needless to say the C-9s blew me away and I still love 'em.

I think my next upgrade will be DIY because of the unbeatable cost/performance ratio, and using speakers you made yourself is just cool.

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 13
i was thinking of diy myself; i'd really like to do some jordan jx92s drivers in a large horn enclosure, but i just don't have the woodworking skill; tell me, what DIY where you thinking of? i am really appealed to the fullrange options for their simplicity, and coming from a headphone background, having one driver for left and one for right is really appealing in its simplicity

the best speakers i've had before were axiom m3ti and these are such a dramatic step up

now to test between my standard dvd player VS zhaolu dac, and also between my cheap onkyo reciever and my t-amp; i'm really curious to find out how much of an improvement the zhaolu makes, and whether the t-amp will best the onkyo; i imagine it will, but perhaps only at low volumes; i'm in a condo anyway so i cannot play things TOO loud
basshead.gif
tongue.gif

also really curious to audition between the speakers and my zhaolu/discrete amp with my dt880's and k501's and sr60's; that will be nice; i've never been able to test good speakers against good headphones

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip. I never heard of Craigslist before. Will have to start checking it out
biggrin.gif

i'm glad to enlighten your ignorant ass
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 13
Craigslist is great! especially in the SF Bay Area. I scored a set of B&W Matrix 3 floorstanders made in 1987 for $80 that retailed for over $2000! They only needed a new tweeter which cost me $95 with the cost of inspection and testing from my local hifi store. Even with my subpar amplification they sound amazing!

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking of diy myself; i'd really like to do some jordan jx92s drivers in a large horn enclosure, but i just don't have the woodworking skill; tell me, what DIY where you thinking of? i am really appealed to the fullrange options for their simplicity, and coming from a headphone background, having one driver for left and one for right is really appealing in its simplicity

Well, I'm considering the Zaph Waveguide TMMs, or the Alpheus MkIIs. The Alpheus' are supposed to sound very natural and pleasing, while the Waveguides are a bit more bright and dynamic.

I'd recommend just enjoying your conquest as long as possible.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back