"crackling" sound when skipping through song
Nov 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BauhausBold

Head-Fier
This happens using winamp and foobar. When I grab the slider and move it to another point in the song there is an instant of "crackling" it almost sounds like a record needle is being dropped onto the record, that tick and pop dust sound. Its very faint but its there.

This is def a computer problem.

Also another instance of this occurs listening to classical piano music, when it goes from quiet to very loud slamming on the piano I can hear it get distorted its the same sound as described above. I can't hear this when I listen to rock music because there aren't many instances of a pure single sound like the piano.

This is on a 2.4ghz 1gig ram, fresh install of student xp sp3.

Any ideas of what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 6
USB M-Audio audiophile is the dac

haven't changed any settings, this is a fresh install so thats why I think this is weird.

I'll see if i can change the buffer settings when I get home.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 6
I think I know your problem. I do a fair amount of audio production and have experience with M-Audio sound cards. Try going into the settings for your sound card and see if you can increase the amount of the "buffer."

Lower buffer settings will have the "crackling" effect you mentioned if you are scanning through the song because not enough memory has been allocated to each track you are listening to.

If you can't find the right setting, try contacting M-Audio's technical support and they will be able to help you -- if it's possible to adjust the buffer on your sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back