Crackling sound when inserting v-moda bass freqs
Mar 4, 2007 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

simonlo

New Head-Fier
Bought a pair of these while on holiday, (couldnt resist, all that talk of this massive bass got me curious!) and when I insert them into my ears I hear a sort of crisp-packet crackling sound..

Is this normal and are the drivers getting damaged at all? I live in the UK so not sure if there are any retailers there for any warranty issues.
confused.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 5
I've had similar when inserting Bass Freqs sometimes, and only in my right ear which has always been an odd fit compared to my left - does it appear when you push the tips in & stop when you stop? I always thought it was just some pressure/wax thing as the sound of the phones doesn't seem to be compromised or deteriorate, which I'd expect if the drivers were getting damaged.

edit/ there's one online UK V-M dealer I've used: iheadphones.co.uk (superb store)...but I'm sure there's at least one other but can't think of the name.

ps What d'you think of the Freqs?

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Yep, starts when i push them in and stop when I let go as well.

Thanks for link, will check them out although I've had the same experience as you so far, the phones seem to sound the same and don't actually seem to be damaged.

As for what I think of them.. I haven't had them all that long, only bought them yesterday so am still trying to burn them in
smily_headphones1.gif
From what I have heard so far - big big bass! Definitely lived up to the hype in this section, it's something you really can feel and thats a pretty weird sensation (I've also got the EX-71s and these still don't prepare you for whats coming). The highs/mids seem a little veiled but I'm hoping they'll open up a bit more as they burn in.

I also bought a pair of EX85s here (same drivers as the EX90s) and compared to the bass freqs they have less bass but have a much much better soundstage and clearer highs/mids. After listening to the bass freqs for a while it's like a breath of fresh air when you put the EX85s in. If only the EX85s had the same bass impact as the bass freqs
eggosmile.gif
(Which reminds me, will have the try the clingfilm mod on these).

Another thing I like about the EX85s is that fact that they go in and stay in your ears so much better. I underestimated comfort/fit when looking for reviews before but now I realise the importance. The bass freqs always seem to need adjusting to get the sound right. I'm using the medium tips from the sony range of canal phones (the small tips from v-moda seem too small the the medium ones are too large).

Having said that they are very fun to listen to for short periods of time, especially on bassy songs. Can't stop thinking what the Vibes would have been like though.. also saw those at the same store.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 5
My Vibes make the same type noise sometimes. It's actually just the tips bending as you push them in or take them out. At least that's what it is in my case. Probably that or something similar for your's as well.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 5
i always thought it was the air pressure created in your ear when you insert them pushing on the drivers and bending the plastic crap that makes the noise.

i am really disapointed with the bass freqs because although they have decent bass, thats about all they are good for. and they do need constant adjusting, and when i move my head, the sound changes. its really annoying, especially since i walk around a lot at work. and i doubt they would make good workout phones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back