Crackling Sound from Quality Headphones
Oct 19, 2019 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scrapser

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Denon AH-D7100 headphones. I have a Headroom desktop DAC/AMP and recently purchased the Creative Labs AE-9 sound card and DAC. I also have a Denon AVR on my home theater system. When I listen to music or plays games on my computer, the headphones produce a crackling sound where the left and right sides cut in and out frequently and inconsistently.

For comparison, the sound is nearly the same as when you turn the volume up or down on a pair of speakers and the dust in the volume control causes the speakers to make a crackling sound. In the case of my headphones, nothing is being adjusted. I can sit perfectly still and hear the crackling sound eventually.

I have tried them on each of the sources listed above and the sound issue appears so I think it's something to do with the headphones. I have taken extremely good care of them. The wiring and connectors all look like new and are clean. Is this indicating they are wearing out or some other type of age issue?

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Sounds a bit strange this happened to both side at the same time but that is not to say it can’t happen. Headphones are pretty resilient as out of the 30 or so I have have not had a driver failure ( knocks on wood ) and a couple are 40+ years old. Cables are usually one of the first things to go for most and that is one thing I would try first as you can find a cheap replacement on Amazon or eBay but not sure what type of connectors the Denon uses.

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Sounds a bit strange this happened to both side at the same time but that is not to say it can’t happen. Headphones are pretty resilient as out of the 30 or so I have have not had a driver failure ( knocks on wood ) and a couple are 40+ years old. Cables are usually one of the first things to go for most and that is one thing I would try first as you can find a cheap replacement on Amazon or eBay but not sure what type of connectors the Denon uses.

Hey there,
Thanks so much for your feedback. And you are correct. I should have thought about the cables right off but kept thinking about the various pieces of hardware. I discovered the problem with the cable is the left side plug/wire connection when I accidentally brushed against it with my hand as I went to adjust the phones around my ears. So the left side cuts out sporadically and at such a frequency that it causes the illusion that both sides are having an issue! I was able to fiddle with the wire and get it to quiet down long enough to confirm the right side is not an issue.

So a replacement cable from Denon is $140. I'm going to try some cheaper replacements first. If I don't notice any difference so much the better.

Thanks again!

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 4
Cables are the butlers of the headphone world - they’re always the culprit! We had this identical problem with my son’s eH350s. A $10 cable from Amazon solved it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back