Crackling noise when inserting IEMs!
Dec 3, 2009 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DervishD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi dudes
smily_headphones1.gif

This is not a new problem for me, but I was just curious if it was really a problem or just a common issue with IEMs.

With almost every IEM I've used I've had a problem, specially if the IEM had a good seal (so, it has happened more with those IEM with better noise isolation): when I insert the right bud I hear a crackling noise, probably from the driver membrane due to the vacuum. It happens on my right ear much more frequently because my right ear canal is smaller, but at times happens with my right ear, too.

Is this normal?

Is it just due to the tight seal and I shouldn't worry about it?

Is it possible to damage the driver in this way? This is what worries me the most!

Is it possible to avoid without losing seal and isolation? Currently the only way of avoiding it is using smaller tips, but then the noise isolation is much worse and I lose some bass response (an issue with my PL21, for example).

Thanks a lot in advance, guys!

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 19
I have never experienced this. I cannot even begin to help you, but I am pretty sure this is not supposed to happen.

-Nkk

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 19
That's why I asked, I have the same suspicion.

Although it has happened with almost every IEM I've had, it has been more noticeable with the two models from SoundMAGIC I have, the PL30 and PL21. I don't know if it is due to the material they use for the drivers :? or because they seal better.

Thanks anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although it has happened with almost every IEM I've had, it has been more noticeable with the two models from SoundMAGIC I have, the PL30 and PL21. I don't know if it is due to the material they use for the drivers :? or because they seal better.

I believe it's a combination of both - try different tips and you *should* still get the same problem.
The driver crackle thing happens to me at least a couple of times every day, and I don't think they've been damaged yet.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 19
Well, it may be just a coincidence (I firmly believe it, really) but my LEFT bud (that is, the one that doesn't usually make the crackling noise) in my PL21 has stopped working.

At first I thought that it could be some problem with the female connector in my Sansa, since when the left driver stopped working with my Sansa Clip, plugging it on other source worked perfectly, but I'm afraid that the problem was other, since the left driver doesn't work anymore with ANY of the sources I have at home (and I have many...). I don't know about contacting FocalPrice because sending back the phones is going to be more expensive for me than the phones themselves... Well, not a great loss anyway.

So, there's no point in further investigating the "crackling driver issue", because it doesn't happen with my JVC HA-FXC50 which are the phones I'm going to use now....

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it may be just a coincidence (I firmly believe it, really) but my LEFT bud (that is, the one that doesn't usually make the crackling noise) in my PL21 has stopped working.

At first I thought that it could be some problem with the female connector in my Sansa, since when the left driver stopped working with my Sansa Clip, plugging it on other source worked perfectly, but I'm afraid that the problem was other, since the left driver doesn't work anymore with ANY of the sources I have at home (and I have many...). I don't know about contacting FocalPrice because sending back the phones is going to be more expensive for me than the phones themselves... Well, not a great loss anyway.

So, there's no point in further investigating the "crackling driver issue", because it doesn't happen with my JVC HA-FXC50 which are the phones I'm going to use now....

Thanks!

Strange.
Anyways, have you tried to open up the plug/driver housing and fix the wire?

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 19
Its definitely driver flex and it occurs in the majority of low-end IEMs when you have a good seal. The air pressure created in the nozzle pushes the driver membrane back. Shouldn't be a problem as the membrane shape should go back to the neutral state as pressure equalizes. The worst offenders for me were the Skullcandy ink'd buds, Meelectronics SX-31, and Kanen MD-51. It actually does occur in my JVC HA-FXC50s but it's not nearly as severe.

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 19
Hi Halftrack
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't tried to open the driver yet, I was thinking about contacting FocalPrice first just in case the warranty covers this issue. I didn't contact them the first time it happened because the driver started working again, so I have to test thoroughly before contacting.

My second best bet is to open the case and check wire continuity, rebuild the soldering, etc.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 19
Hi ljokerl
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't noticed the crackling in my HA-FXC50 yet, but you never know. If it is happening, it is non-severe enough as to not hearing it. Anyway, if that is not going to damage the drivers, the noise is OK to me, I just have to be careful about not touching the IEMs while wearing them to avoid the annoying noise, nothing more.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 19
I do have this small annoying problem on MD-52. No surprise I see, since this one belongs to same low-end category.
In long time I was pretty sure this thing was coming from the stock silicone tips but a day I replaced them with Comply's and the noise was unfortunately still there.
I have not experience any other issues myself with it, so I believe it must be safe.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 19
Lol I have a new worst offender. The JLAB Jbuds J3 have by far the most severe driver flex I've ever experienced not because of the volume of the crackling but because it sometimes take several minutes for the driver to 'pop' back to its proper shape. Luckily the fit is very good so I don't have to adjust them constantly, but it can still be infuriating.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 19
This also happened to me with my Klipsch S4s, exact same problem you were describing on the left channel. First pair I owned the left channel actually stopped working, and I sent them back for a replacement.

It continued to happen on the second pair, but I don't think the driver burn out was related to this. My left ear is radically different than my right one, I've had impressions done last week , and I just know.

On my X5s there's no dynamic diaphragm to speak of, since it's a BA enclosed in a small box, I don't have that crackling issue here. The only thing I hear is the silicone squishing in my ear and getting a seal.

I wouldn't worry too much about it

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 19
Another contender for worst offender was the old OVC TC20, if anyone remembers those. I remember being told by a local distributer that he was pulling all his stock and dumping them at a loss just to avoid the onslaught of upset customers wanting to return them. Too bad because they were quite nice sounding for the very low price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back