Crackling ER6i
Mar 11, 2009 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thebucksstop

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I bought a pair of ER6is secondhand on here a couple of years ago or maybe it was only 1...I don't remember!). Anyway, I absolutely love them, and have used them pretty much daily for at least 1.5hrs since.

Just now, however, I put them in, and there's a significant crackle in the righthand one. It's completely intermittent. The phone plays at seriously reduced volume when there's not much complexity or volume (e.g. just piano and violins) but then the crackle appears when it tries to respond when more complexity and volume is required. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or can anyone suggest an appropriate remedy?? It's definitely not the filter - it happens even with no filter in the 'phone.

Thanks in anticipation....

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Typical maladies are busted cable (try twisting cable see if that's the case) or needs new filter (but that is a permanent prob, not intermittent)

Assuming the symptom is exactly as u described, then it's done for, the driver is damage and unable to "throtle up."

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Typical maladies are busted cable (try twisting cable see if that's the case) or needs new filter (but that is a permanent prob, not intermittent)

Assuming the symptom is exactly as u described, then it's done for, the driver is damage and unable to "throtle up."

Thanks for that Jsmithepa, it's definitely not a blocked filter - problem occurs even when filter is removed. I'll carry on playing with the cable, but I get the feeling it's knackered. Damn! Oh well, at least it's an excuse for an upgrade...

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 8
From what I've been reading, this seems to be a somewhat common problem with the ER6is... mine's left channel seems to distort easy, even at low-medium volume, no matter what source it's plugged into; it can't be them or my files, as only the ER6i distorts so easily over my other cans.

Speaking of upgrades, I've been looking at the ER4P, as I like the ER6i quite a bit. As far as I know, distortion doesn't seem to be a known problem with them... could any ER6i to ER4P owners chime in on this?

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 8
Don't discount a cable problem. When this happends, stay perfectly still and wiggle the cable, the plug.

There is a thread sumwhere here to replace your own cable.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 8
my Er6i only seems to distort on higher volumes and when the EQ is set to booost the frequencies. Try an EQ on flat perhaps.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 8
^2 all tests should be performed with NO EQ. OK u like EQ and they do have side effects, more pronounced on certain sources like iPods.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Haha i did heard some crackling, i was on the treadmill... iPod Mini 2nd Gen, playing a lossless AAC file, some crackling i heard. and its on flat eq. and it is also completely intermittent. Makes me wonder could it be the player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back