Crackling and hiss with USB DAC
Oct 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Karl H

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a new USB DAC this week. It performs fine on the desktop, but doesn't work on the laptop.

The laptop has 4 usb ports and I've tried all 4. Although the machine recognises the DAC (as Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702), on playback of any sound (regardless if it's music via Foobar or just system sounds), all I get is crackling and hiss.

On the desktop it's all ok, apart from some background hiss on occassion. This is eliminated by switching the unit off and on again. Bit of an annoyance really.

Anyway, any suggestions on resolving the laptop issue? I bought it specifically for the laptop.
sad2.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 6
I've tried unplugging the mains from the laptop, but the problem remains.

Playback does occur. You can just about hear what's supposed to be reproduced behind the noise of crackling and hiss. There is silence when there is no playback.

The OS and audio settings are also identical on both the desktop and laptop.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 6
Just an update, in case anyone esle has a similar issue in the future.

I've just connected the USB output from my latop to the built-in USB hub in my HP LP2475W monitor, then connected the DAC to the monitor USB hub.

Problem disappears.

I'm guessing there's a grounding issue or something with the USB ports on the laptop. Brand new laptop too, Acer Aspire 7535G.

Will just buy a powered USB hub to take away with the laptop. Pleased it's a minor issue and not a problem with the DAC (Fubar II with Supplier), as I'm loving it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 6
I only bought the laptop as I'm off to the South Atlantic for 4 months in February, and needed back-up for my photography whilst I'm down there. Aside from this issue, I've no problems with it, quite a good machine for the money.

I'll get a powered USB hub tomorrow. If it works, then I'll be happy. If it doesn't, then I'll be contacting Acer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back