Cracking noise heard intermittently from 1 of 2 speaker sets
Mar 10, 2009 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kibble Fat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

I'm currently living in a dormitory on a college campus and changed rooms recently because my roommate was a slob. I noticed when I came back from spring break that with music muted or playing, even with nothing playing, one of my two speaker sets cracks loudly every 5-10 mins. This happens while it is plugged in and turned on
wink.gif
. I figured out which set is doing it, but not why. I'm using the same high-quality Belkin power strip with the same components plugged into it.

Here's what I'm using:

Amazon.com: Sony CMT-NEZ30 Audio Micro System with CD Player, Cassette Deck, and AM/FM Tuner: Electronics
Amazon.com: Creative Inspire T3100 2.1 Speakers: Electronics

The Creatives are the ones cracking, and its pretty loud - like the firework snaps you used to throw at your siblings. I've got the line-in on both speakers connected with a 3.5mm splitter into my computer. I've never had problems with this setup before. Again, I have no idea why it happens. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 2
After a quick 2nd glance I realized that my fridge was, in fact, plugged into the belkin strip (it wasn't before I moved). I swapped it to be in a separate wall socket and the noise seems to have disappeared. Interesting.

The Question still stands, I couldn't have been pulling to many amps because nothing was really running except the fridge which is only like 100W. Weird.

confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back