cracking/harshness/distortion? with my new Chaintech AV-710 Plz help a newbie :)
Oct 3, 2004 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jaK

New Head-Fier
[Disclaimer: I AM A NEWBIE
biggrin.gif
]

Hi everyone!

I remember seeing the name of the chaintech soundcard pop up all the time ever since I joined up with head-fi many months ago, and last night I noticed the card was on sale at my local computer shop so I picked one up this afternoon and started fiddling with it. Comparing it to my onboard ac'97, a lot of my songs (decent quality mp3s [192 to 320kbps ripped with FhG]) sound like they are 'breaking-up' or distorting or clipping (I don't know the right term) on the highs. All I know is that it's very harsh and it hurts my ears
redface.gif
I've looked at the two guides on setting up the card but I havent gone as far as using FooBar. Also this problem didnt seem to happen with my onboard. So currently my setup looks like this:

1.43d drivers
Enabled Digital Output
Checked Enable High Sample rate
Headphones plugged into the jack that is next to the spdif socket thing.
All the jumpers are on their default locations (ie. Im using the speaker-out because my cMoy is currently being built
biggrin.gif
)

I am using Winamp with directsound to play my mp3s, ogg, ape (seems to do this on all formats).

BTW my headphones are the sennheiser hd-570!!! Yes.. I know everyone bashes them
frown.gif

So if anyone can help me out or guide me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!!
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
Thanks!

Oct 3, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 5
The HD570 are VERY power demanding headphones (so power demanding for their ohmage that they're the person who runs this DIY audio website uses it to stress test opamp chips) and the AV-710 has no ability to power headphones AT ALL. Some work fine with it unamped (like the non-power demanding Koss PortaPros) but most will distort.

Oct 3, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Another thing to check is the music files themselves. Find a copy of MP3gain and run your files through it. MP3gain can adjust the gain to avoid digital clipping without making any other change to the encoding of your music -- so no loss of quality.

I have been shocked at the amount of my MP3s that have clipping.

Oct 3, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you both so much!!
And props to you Mr.Radar! Your guide was excellent!
biggrin.gif

Going to check out the mp3gain program now, thx earwax! =)

I didn't know the hd570s were that power hungry :O I hope I didnt damage them from listening to it with all that distortion. Guess I need to wait for my amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 5
If you kept the volume at moderate levels, I doubt that you damaged anything.

I'd be interested in hearing if using mp3gain makes any difference for you. Judging by my testing with the hd600, I'd expect the sound from the 710 to be weak and lifeless, but not so distorted anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back