Cracked outer casing on UE Super.fi 5 Pro
Oct 14, 2006 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

awptickes

100+ Head-Fier
I have tried contacting UE a few times, once via email, and many times with their phone number. The email went unanswered, and the I can never seem to get anyone on the phone. This has gone on for well over a month.

A month and a few weeks ago I noticed that the outer casing on my s.f 5 Pro's was cracked. At first I thought about taking them back to the store where I bought them, but they no longer carry them. The crack is on the underside of the left headphone, about 6mm long. I never transport them outside of their case, and I always take care of them, so I haven't abused them.

This is starting to bother me. I've bought a couple pairs now, my first were Super.fi 3's and those were stolen. I bought these to replace them, and talked my mother into buying some 3's for herself. I couldn't be happier with the sound, and I'm considering buying some UE10's, but the customer support leaves much to be desired.

Maybe someone here can tell me if this is covered under warranty? I've attached two pictures, if anyone needs more, please ask.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Oct 14, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 21
Yes it is covered under warranty and UE will gladly replace your faulty 5 pro's with new one's. Make sure that you contact Jeanette at customerservice@ultimateears.com and or superficare@ultimateears.com and she will email you back at the earliest oppertunity quoting you a RMA number which you can use to return the faulty earphones. I emailed both addresses because the contact page at UE's website doesn't make it very clear which address to email. I never had a problem contacting them and Jeanette replied within 45 minutes of sending my email out. Mind you I can understand how frustrated you must feel with phones that are faulty and no reply, especially when UE's customer service is considered 2nd to none.

You have white and currently, so far as I know, if you have white and or clear 5 Pro's then you get your replacements far quicker. Black is on backorder because everybody seems to like black and or wants that color in exchange, but imho the new pearl metalic white is far better.

Oct 14, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 21
I cracked my UE10PRo's because of a dumb friend who thought that they were just cheap headphone and UE fixed it under warranty, even though I admitted that it was my fault for the cracked case and I had my earphones back in 3 days. I have never had any trouble getting someone on the phone. I have dealt with Gary at UE and the customer support could not have been better.

Maybe its just Saturday that you can't reach anyone but call Monday, remember they are in CA so account for the time difference, and don't call during lunch hour.

You won't regret moving up to the UE 10 Pro's. But check out all of the UE 10 line to make sure that the Pro's really meet your needs. They might have a different (CHEAPER) set of 10's that meet your needs as well. But if $$ isn't an issue, GO FOR IT!!

Don't be down on UE for customer service because my dealings with them have been nothing but superior. I wouldn't say stellar but way above any other company. I have had poor dealings with Shure and I like 20 minutes from their headquarters but they still would not touch my headphones.

Don't give up. It will work out for the best.

Oct 14, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying to get a hold of them. I sent out two more emails, and I'll try calling them again on Monday.

I'm glad UE has a good customer service record, knowing that something will get done has helped out a lot. I was worried for a while that they might not want to replace them.

I'll post an update here when I do get in contact with UE.

Thanks for the support. One more reason I love the head-fi community.

<3

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 21
I had the same problem with a white pair bought back in early July.

Called (9/28) and left a voice mail for customer support. Jeanette called back within an hour. Gave RMA #. Shipped out same day. They received on 10/4....I'll have new set (white/pearl, the new revision) Monday 10/16/06.

biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for the support, I plan on calling when I get off of work tonight. I'll keep everyone updated on how the return/replacement goes.

ChicagoNB:
I have wanted the UE10's since I saw an audio engineer with a pair. He ran them to his iPod unamped, and he said they were hands down the best headphones he has ever listened to. I'm trying not to buy anything else because I know I'll probably "go for the gusto" and spend the 1k USD and get the 10's. Thanks for the advice though.

Oct 16, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 21
Oct 16, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 21
Just got a reply from my email.

Quote:

Hello Doug,

Please return your earphones with all accessories to the address on my
signature and include the following:

RMA #XXXXXXXXX clearly written on package
Copy of purchase receipt
Shipping address
Written description for reason of return
ALL replacements are shipped within one week of receipt of return

Respectfully,

Jeanette S Coffey
Ultimate Ears, LLC
5 Jenner Street, Suite 100
Irvine, CA 92618
Office: (949) 502-8359

I'd like to thank everyone for their words of encouragement and UE for their customer service.

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 21
Happened to me too on my Super.Fi 5 pro clear.
You need to speak to Jeanette Coffey. She is a super nice lady but lately she hasn't been getting back to my e-mails as much as she was... She must be inundated with them.

I shipped mine back to them UPS ground on a monday. They got them on Tuesday (since I live only 60 miles from them). They shipped them back to me on Wednesday (a brand new pair), and I received them on a Thursday.

Be warned, there is no soft case with the new ones and the hard case has no wire assembly inside. I have ranted about this on other threads and won't do it again. but I will say it's a piece of junk case that won't shut, is very flimsy, dents easily, gets velvet dust all over your earcups..... basically they cheaped out making the new hard case, BIGTIME!!

But miraculously, the headphones sound a lot better than they did before.

I am awaiting for my limited edition Triple.Fi 10 Pros.... #2/180.
Oh when oh when shall I see them?? Noone seems to know.

You might consider those triple drivers (modeled after the UE-10) as they are a Universal Fit and are considerably cheaper.... $400 vs. $900 + $50 molding cost.

When I get them, I'll let you know how they sound. If the Super.Fi 5 pro sounded as good as they did (with my version of a -2db waveform volume lowering so the iPod doesn't peak out using it's EQ), I can't imagine how good the triple drivers will sound. I might be disappointed if they are aimed more for vocals than for overall tonal balance but I don't think that will be the case based on what I've read from some reviewers.

Anxiously waiting..........

PJ

Oct 17, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 21
^ Excuse me, but...are you sure they sounded different in a batter sense? What could they have changed, and how are you sure that it is different? Placebo, perhaps? Proof, please. I don't like being led astray on this site...
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
^ Excuse me, but...are you sure they sounded different in a better sense? What could they have changed, and how are you sure that it is different? Placebo, perhaps? Proof, please. I don't like being led astray on this site...
wink.gif

oops, please delete - sorry!

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
^ Excuse me, but...are you sure they sounded different in a better sense? What could they have changed, and how are you sure that it is different? Placebo, perhaps? Proof, please. I don't like being led astray on this site...
wink.gif

IMO it is a psychological effect. I got replacement(thick cables, durable housing) SF5Ps a while back and found no differences in sound. I still like them very much
biggrin.gif
(except for the black velvet stuff rubbing off of the metal case - glad I got a leather pouch as well)

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
Be warned, there is no soft case with the new ones and the hard case has no wire assembly inside. I have ranted about this on other threads and won't do it again. but I will say it's a piece of junk case that won't shut, is very flimsy, dents easily, gets velvet dust all over your earcups..... basically they cheaped out making the new hard case, BIGTIME!!PJ

If you absolutely must have the old style alloy case, which is actually inferior so far as the hard anodising of the exterior is concerned whereas the new one is a much more refined satin anodised finish... I know I do this stuff and the old case looks so bloody awful we would never let it out of the shop - oh and my new one clips together with a really nice click and I haven't suffered any problem with velvet fluff - anyway if you must have the old case and you cannot get one out of UE even with lots of ranting and raving then for about $17 you can get one unused with the old style cable management here

http://stores.ebay.com/iDealSound_Ul...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back