Cracked open the k702s !
Feb 5, 2010 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mmayer167

500+ Head-Fier
hey everybody, i cracked open the k702s tonight. Really simple, was a bit daunting at first but came apart really smooth and once i saw what was inside i had the incredible itch to diy a dual entry... Im pretty sure im going to order a 25 footer from jena of the ultra wire but im not sure what ga.? 22 or 18 Does anybody have one or can compare ga. differences. Im really leaning to the 22 ga. right now because there isnt a whole lot of space for that 18 ga. in there. Also what solder would you recommend with this wire...? fyi dont worry im not a solder noob and wont be ruining a pair of 702s here. thanks for any input guys or gals!
k701smile.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 16
18 is huge go 22 also you might consider a different wire being as jena broke a r10. at $5 a foot you could also go with MUNDORF silver gold wire. also if you go with a cheaper wire you could buy a second right side cup then have matching sides for a cleaner look.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 16
what do you want pictures of ? haha jk, i'll put some up on this thread when i get the cable and start the task. almost forgot, momo are u using the mundorf on your 70x and how does it sound?

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 16
$5 for a ft of copper is absurd, so is what most commercial cable sellers are charging. I agree with momomo, if you have to go boutique go Mundorf.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 16
Mundorf is solid core and imo not suitable for recabling purposes. Stranded wire will be more flexible and durable.
As for cable I would get regular Mogami or if you want some more hi-fi to your copper get some of that OCC copper from Double Helix or Cryoparts (and pay absurd prices).

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Mundorf is very suitable to work with for headphones you just need to cover it strand by strand in carbon fiber then braid it then put another layer of techflex over that

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mundorf is very suitable to work with for headphones you just need to cover it strand by strand in carbon fiber then braid it then put another layer of techflex over that

How do you figure that solid wire is "very suitable" for an application where is flexed and bent almost continuously?
If you go by normal engineering standards, solid wire is only used inside a chassis where it doesn't undergo any mechanical stress.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I disagree. Solid wire is bulky, stiff and not durable enough...

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

That just makes it more difficult to move. Better for the longevity of the cable, sure, but not more usable.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 16
thanks everybody, any other recomendations for cable? i hope to get the recable underway later this week, i hope you guys arent too anxiously awaiting a finished product
eek.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 16
i think im gonna go with the nucleotide. does anybody have experience ordering from their website? do i just put the feet i want in the quantity box? how many inches of cable will i lose if i want to make a 6 foot cable with this braid??? im assuming it depends on how tight you braid it? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back