Cowon Z2 - Artist Name Is Not Showing
Sep 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Summersky

New Head-Fier
Hi friends,

I'm a new user of Cowon Z2 and I've faced some problems that I couldn't resolve after hours and hours of trying.

I ripped my music in FLAC with DBpoweramp, believe the tagging was automatic.

First attempt, after transferring the Beatles' One album to the Z2.
Under "album" browsing, I had something like:

Yesterday
RTIST=Beatles
<unknown>

Tried everything I could and remove the IDtag "Album Artist" and retransferred the album and now it shows:

Yesterday
One
<Unknown>

It seems to me no matter what I try I just can't get the artist name to show :frowning2:

Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrongly? What needs to be done? What is Cowon's IDtag restriction?

I basically use the below fields for the IDtag, I use MP3tag to tag the files. I've also manually tag it using DBpoweramp tag editor.

Title
Album
Artist
Track

Summersky1986

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 13
Summersky, this probably wasn't the best place to ask since this board is full with dicks (couldn't even take the time to TRY and help you). Cowon has A LOT of issues, so you have to weigh the pros and cons of getting this device. There is a way to fix this issue, though it is a bit inconvnient and you shouldn't need to do this in order to properly use your device. It's unfortunate, but the most stable music players on the market right now are sold by Apple (and it's unfortunate 'cause how ****ty the sound is on those devices).

If you haven't already made your Cowon accessible enough to use Google Play, do so now. There are many tutorials online and it's very easy. No jailbreaking needed. Afterwards, download Poweramp. Poweramp will do what Cowon can't — organize all your music. Problem solved.

Can't believe no one even tried to help you. Wow...

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 13
I Have a Z2, the stock player has tagging\art issues, the best advice i can give you is to install amazon apps store and download a different media player, POWERAMP is not option, I have tried EVERYTHING, the lack of Google account on the Z2 makes Poweramp not an option. And Sony Walkman Z's and F's running ICS are AWESOMELY Stable and the S-Master amp powers my UM3X RCs nicely...The Z2 isnt buggy overall, just the lack of a google account really limits it.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Summersky, if you ever return to this thread, DO NOT LISTEN TO BattleBrat. I don't meant to sound offensive, battlebrat, but you do not know what you're talking about.

The Google Play store is very much available on the Cowon, and legally too (you do not have to jailbreak it, and you do not void your warranty). Cowon, for whatever reason, decided not to add the Google Play app, but that doesn't mean it won't run on Cowon. You have to manually install the app on your Cowon device through the root folder on your PC. It's very easy and there are dozens of tutorials online. I don't think I need to link to a tutorial or explain how to do it since it's so popular with the Z2 (how did you not know this, battlebrat?). Google how to add Google Play on Cowon Z2, download Poweramp, and you're good to go, summersky.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 13
Android is free for anyone to use, Google's services are not. Cowon did not get a google license for its devices, which is why it doesn't ask you to log in to your google account like android phones do when you set the Z2 up. Go ahead go to XDA developers and get the .APK for google play and use SWM to install it.  it wont work, because there is no google account tied to the device. If you install Poweramp even if you buy it direcly from their website and install it (Which I had to do seeing as I couldn't get google play to work, yes you can buy poweramp straight from their website) it stops working when it does the first license check, because it checks to see which Google account the device is registered to. Seeing as Cowon didn't get a Google license the Z2 HAS NONE, it isn't registered to any account with google, Poweramp gives you an error message and stops working. Poweramps developer couldn't help me. Now if Poweramp is released on the Amazon Apps Store, THEN the Z2 will be in business. If you know of any solution to the lack of google license problem, I'm all ears. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Not true. Both Google Play and Poweramp work flawlessly on my Z2. 

Summersky, I don't know what battlebrat was doing to his Cowon, but you should be able to successfully install Google Play and run Poweramp. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 13
http://www.head-fi.org/t/594395/cowon-z2-the-complete-review-from-izzi-going/465
then show us, we'd love to know how you got google play to work

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 13
the license files, YES, please post that in the thread link i posted above. thank you evilhippie

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 13
Uhm, are you trolling me? 'Cause if so, I don't really appreciate it. I'm simply trying to help summersky out. If you're telling the truth, christ... How could you have not figured this out? It's so simple. It's like you're asking, "How do you install Google Chrome [and/or] Firefox? It doesn't work for me." How do you respond to something so like that? Like, it's not that difficult.

For reference, I made a video. 

Video:

Also, if you're trolling me, scew you. I didn't have to make a video but I feel if summersky comes back and sees you spreading lies about the device, he'll be in the same spot he was in when he made this topic. I sympathize with his case because I've found myself in struggles with technology before as well, and not having anyone respond to you is harsh. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
the license files, YES, please post that in the thread link i posted above. thank you evilhippie

Jeeze, did you even try and research this ****? This is like the first ******* result when you search, "Google Play on Cowon Z2." I even said it in one of my previous responses, that if you google, "Google Play on Cowon Z2," that you'll get what you want, to which you proceeded to continue arguing with me, spouting nonsense. 

lol... I'm getting way too angry over this. Let's just conclude that you're an idiot, battlebrat. Summersky, good luck. And I'm out.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 13
I bought the cowon Z2 VERY shortly after it came out, at the time this solution was not available (or at least didn't come up with a google search the solution was originally for the D3 after all). You did not state the missing license files were available Evilhippie did (thanks again evilhippie) Shortly after I got the Z2 I Got the Walkman Z1060, which is lightyears ahead of the Z2 in all ways SOUND QUALITY ESPECIALLY after that the Z2 sat unused, Look in my sig, see that 64gb 3rd gen ipod touch, that replaced the Z2 WHY? Because the Z2's internal amp doesnt drive IEM's for crap, and to add insult to injury, there is no line out like the Walkman or iPods have, making it useless as a media player, the 3rd gen ipod touch sounds better AND has better support. You called me an idiot, we both are, cause we were stupid enough to buy Z2's  And I'm not wrong, the Z2 has no license, which is why you have to install the other two files in addition to the market .apk

Summersky, sell that POS and get a Walkman F Series (Ihave a friend who works for sony i can get you a 32gb one for $260 NEW Full warr. direct from sony) or an ipod Touch (30 pin 3-4th gen if possible I got my 64gb 3rd for $200 NEW off ebay a month ago, even cheaper now) the Z2 will bring you nothing but PAIN

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
...Because the Z2's internal amp doesnt drive IEM's for crap, and to add insult to injury, there is no line out like the Walkman or iPods have, making it useless as a media player, the 3rd gen ipod touch sounds better AND has better support.

You couldn't be more wrong. My Cowon Z2 almost drives my Q701's, which for some who may not know, are much harder to drive than IEM's. The line out isn't a necessity, and micro-to-micro works just fine (icremental gain in SQ provided by line out is somewhat over-hyped). And to say that an iPod sounds better over a Cowon is ludicruous, this was the very first difference I noticed when I started using mine (and why I still use it to this day).

As to summersky, I have followed the same method as thenineandsix has mentioned, and it works perfect for the Cowon. I still am trying to root my Z2 which is awhole 'nother story and a bit more complicated but upon installing Google Play and Dl'ing Poweramp, my artists are easily recognized.

J Bones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back