Cowon X9
Oct 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

kmitschiener

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just got myself a Cowon X9 and was wondering a couple of things. the first was up to what capacity micro sd card can it hold? can it use 64 GB and up?

The second was a portable amp to go with it. I use the klipsch s4 and shure se215, any amps that have good synergy with these for less than $100?

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:
Hey guys, I just got myself a Cowon X9 and was wondering a couple of things. the first was up to what capacity micro sd card can it hold? can it use 64 GB and up?

The second was a portable amp to go with it. I use the klipsch s4 and shure se215, any amps that have good synergy with these for less than $100?

If it can use a 64 it would be great.  Amazon was just selling a 64gb Class 10 card for $43

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 28
Yeah it's pretty nice if all you're going to be doing is listening to music. It sounds great with no background noise or anything, my only problem with it is it's ugly screen, but then again it's usually in my pocket playing music so it's not an issue.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 28
Does the X9 have the annoying Cowon file limit? That would put a damper on using a 64gb micro SDXC card.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
Does the X9 have the annoying Cowon file limit? That would put a damper on using a 64gb micro SDXC card.

I'd be willing to bet it does......

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

My SGP would work well with one of those cards, if you're interested....
wink_face.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 28
Apr 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 28
Hello,

I just got myself a X9 to replace my former setup, which was: Imod (incl the ALO cable) + Iqube + Hd25 (with cooper senn cable or Cardas cable)

The Imod died and i sold back the Iqube that i found too big and heavy.

So the Imod + Iqube was around 1000€ whereas the Cowon costs around 200€ (with a smaller capacity -32Go- however)

My critics are exactly the reverse of what i read everywhere: great sound but bad "ergonomics"

I'm in France so i had to delete the "param" file which limits the volume and spoils the sound as well.

(I precise i still use the HD25)

For me the big problem is the equalizer: it's not audiophile at all as the sound should be great with a "regular" setting.

The problem there is that it sounds very bad in "regular" mode. So you have to use a "trafficked" mode.

So either the bass is bumped or the low recessed...

The best i found is the "Rock" mode which have enough lows (but not too much) and enough highs...

To sum up, i find it decent sounding but not neutral because of the equalizer and more ear-fatiguing than the classic Ipod because of that.

Besides that, the tuner section is godd sounding, beating my pocket tuner reference (Sangean)

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:
Hello,

I just got myself a X9 to replace my former setup, which was: Imod (incl the ALO cable) + Iqube + Hd25 (with cooper senn cable or Cardas cable)

The Imod died and i sold back the Iqube that i found too big and heavy.

So the Imod + Iqube was around 1000€ whereas the Cowon costs around 200€ (with a smaller capacity -32Go- however)

My critics are exactly the reverse of what i read everywhere: great sound but bad "ergonomics"

I'm in France so i had to delete the "param" file which limits the volume and spoils the sound as well.

(I precise i still use the HD25)

For me the big problem is the equalizer: it's not audiophile at all as the sound should be great with a "regular" setting.

The problem there is that it sounds very bad in "regular" mode. So you have to use a "trafficked" mode.

So either the bass is bumped or the low recessed...

The best i found is the "Rock" mode which have enough lows (but not too much) and enough highs...

To sum up, i find it decent sounding but not neutral because of the equalizer and more ear-fatiguing than the classic Ipod because of that.

Besides that, the tuner section is godd sounding, beating my pocket tuner reference (Sangean)

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts

All the preset EQ settings, all 48 of them, are rubbish. You can get great sound out of the player, but you have to roll your own custom EQ setting to get it. You can save four custom settings, for different headphones....it takes some time and effort, but it is worth it in the end.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 28
Thank you. I managed to get something a little better than the crappy presets but no, this is NOT good sounding. Not a neutral, natural sound i'm looking for. It gave me an headake.

On another hand, i find all the funny functions (notepad, etc..) very pleasant. But for sound, this is NOT a real audiophile player IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back