Cowon X9 or Plenue 1?
Nov 9, 2015 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JBThazard

Head-Fier
My Cowon J3 is on its last legs. I've had it for 4 years and it was marvelous but the audio jack is failing and I am gonna need a replacement over the next couple of months.

I'm considering the X9 because I can find it for less than $300 and with basically identical audio quality to the J3 it seems like a good choice plus I'll have the same storage capacity of around 64gb.

But, the Plenue 1 looks phenomenal in terms of its fidelity capabilities. I have a few SACDs and a few 192khs rips that I always had to downgrade, plus the fact that it has a nice S/N ratio and a built in amp seems very enticing, and could offer a standard of quality I have probably never encountered before.

So basically, is it worth waiting a couple extra months to save up for the Plenue and pass up on the X9? I would be using it as my dedicated at home and portable device. Is the sound jump from J3/X9 to the Plenue THAT good? Is it a viable portable device? What are people's experiences with the jump from a regular cowon device to the Plenue, and is it worth what will basically cost me $1300 canadian dollars? Is it also durable? Because I would, obviously, like this thing to last longer than the J3 lasted me.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 8
I've never had the pleasure of using the X9, but I have just very recently acquired the P1 due to a price too good to pass up and it blows my ZX2 outta the water fidelity wise, it also drives some harder to drive cans that the ZX2 can't touch, Save up for the P1, its everything you'd want in a high end no nonsense dap and then some....

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Do you think the Plenue 1 will go down in price for the holidays?

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 8
That I can't tell. I got it for $775 on Ebay a month ago.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Lemme ask you Aero, I assume that everything sounds better with the Plenue 1? I plan on using 192khz stuff and maybe SACDs. But I mostly use OGG and FLACs. Will FLACs at 44.1khz still sound superb?

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Lemme ask you Aero, I assume that everything sounds better with the Plenue 1? I plan on using 192khz stuff and maybe SACDs. But I mostly use OGG and FLACs. Will FLACs at 44.1khz still sound superb?

To be honest with a good set of headphones everything I throw in it sounds amazing. Granted the smallest files I've loaded were 320mp3's this DAP has a pleasing analog warmness to its sound that I personally love. Then again I'm not a reference, no EQ type of guy, quiet the opposite I love to pump the base and raise some treble and if that's the sound you're after. You'll absolutely love this thing. I. Mostly use the Sony higher end headphones and Iem's and the combo is superb. I also have the ZX2 but if I'm only after sound quality I reach for the Plenue everytime. Incredible piece of kit, only thing that would make this thing perfect is twice the battery life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back