Cowon X7 VS iPod Classic
Mar 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
Some of those setups look interesting, what is everything hooked up to?

Hey doc,

I just gave you some examples on what you can hook up via the line-out from the iPod.  I like to hook them up to everything.  Very versatile...
beerchug.gif

Rockbox is just a firmware to replace the original ipod's firmware, by some wonderful developers.  It allows you to play various formats including FLAC, WavPack, Ogg etc...It also adds EQ and a bunch of other settings to play with.  Only various iPods and other players can be rockboxed...Here you go http://www.rockbox.org/

The setups from the top-  1) iPod 5.5G, ALO Dock, Little Dot MKVII amp & Ultrasone HFI-2200 headphones.  2) iPod 5.5G Rockboxed (The screen is an example of the many themes you can choose from).  3) iPod 5.5G, RCA to dock cable & Darkvoice 336SE amp.  4) iPod, ALO dock, Little Dot I+ amp with Grados SR60 headphones....

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #17 of 36
So I'm also having issues deciding whether to buy the ipod classic 160gb or the Cowon X7 160gb.
It's quite a lot of money and I really have read through a lot of stuff and so on.

I just want to know is the UI really that bad on the X7?  It it that much of a nightmare, I've mainly been using my Creative Zen for a while now and have decided to upgrade to something that I can fit my whole collection onto (just about) and these are the only two dedicated music players on the market ( I think?) that fit the bill in terms of space/storage.

I'm not an Apple person really but have just recently downloaded itunes and transferred all of my music on to it in anticipation of buying an ipod.... but I'm still torn.... I'd rather not have an ipod and would rather go with drag and drop.
But if ipods really are not that bad, I'm happy to just synch up and transfer the lot.

What do you guys think?

Is the X7 that much of a nightmare, is it almost impossible to use the UI?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #19 of 36

Is the X7 that much of a nightmare, is it almost impossible to use the UI?

I recently sold my 7th gen iPod Classic and bought an X7 and don't regret it. It's not that bad. Just because it's not an exact copy of every other UI out there doesn't make it "unintuitive." It's a little different but it does make sense. Sure it's not the slickest thing I've ever used, but I got used to it in five minutes. The only thing about it which might annoy me is scrolling through long lists of artists/songs or what have you, but it isn't any worse than the iPod's click wheel can be. You have the ability to install alternative UI's as well. The only real issue is if you have small hands it might be difficult to reach across the screen with your thumb when holding it in your palm. I have more or less average sized hands and it's not really an issue for me. Also the transfer rate when copying files over is really slow, about 2-3 MB/s. Don't know if they're all like that or maybe it's just my own computer. The good news though is that sound quality is dramatically better than the iPod.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #20 of 36
Excellent, thanks very much for the info.
The transfer speed is a little worrying but hey, It's not a deal-breaker.

Also what is the actual space on there?

I know that it says it's 160gb but  it'll obviously be much  less.

Like the 120gb ipod having only 111gb of storage.

What is the actual space on this?

Thanks very much.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 36

Quote:
What is the actual space on this?

I was actually very surprised when I plugged it in and it read as having exactly 160 GB. Like I said, don't know if this is the case with all X7's or maybe I lucked out, but just goes to show that a bunch of other companies are ripping us off.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #24 of 36
The X7 has 2 areas of storage - flash for the OS, and an HDD for media storage. Kinda cool actually.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #26 of 36
OK so I got the Cowon X7 through today and I'm having issues syncing with Windows Media Player.
I'm not sure what is going on.... I select ctrl and A  so I select all music in my media player. It shows 30,797 items and 1900 hours.
I then drag and drop into the synch list, have done this many, many times before with various media players and phones etc.
It then calculates the space etc (The X7 starts with 148.9GB) and then tells me I have anything from 98GB to 132GB free... which judging by the 30,000+ files just doesn't add up.

This is beyond frustrating and I have been doing this for over 3 hours now.

I also don't want to drag and drop straights from "My music" because for some reason it tells me I have 164GB and 42,500 files.  I also think I may have duplicates in this folder.
I also have another folder within this titled "music" and this contains 30GB and 10,000 files? I have no idea what's going on...

All my music is in Windows Media Player, it's there, as Usual and when i go through I can anything I want.

If I look in itunes I have 25,966 songs and 140.69GB of music.

Does anyone know why I have these discrepancies and what I can do to sort this out?

The thing is in the past I used to have it set on Windows Media Player so I only deleted files from "my library" and not "my library and my computer" so I think this is why the "My music" on my computer  is larger than that on Windows Media Player.

Is there a way to see how much (in size) music I have on Windows Media Player? 

Is there an easy way I can just put all my music on this player?

*sigh*

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #27 of 36

Quote:

I was actually very surprised when I plugged it in and it read as having exactly 160 GB. Like I said, don't know if this is the case with all X7's or maybe I lucked out, but just goes to show that a bunch of other companies are ripping us off.

It's not a matter of being ripped off, it's a matter of two different calculations being used.  Hard drive and storage manufacturers use a power of ten decimal measure where 1000 bytes is a kilobyte, whereas operating systems use the power of two binary calculation of 1024 bytes being a kilobyte.  Networking items use the SI decimal method of measurement, memory makers use the power of two, the whole thing's a mess.  No one's ripping anyone off, there's just two standards and it's a religion to determining which one is "correct".

I know this is off topic, sorry.  Back to the sound!

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #28 of 36
blupblup: It sounds like the files in your music folder are disorganized. If that's the case, then unfortunately you're going to continue to experience discrepancies. The only way I know of to fix that is some good old fashioned manual file management. Go in and clean things up, make sure your music isn't spread out across different random folders, delete duplicate files/folders, etc. Do you know how big your "real" library actually is? Is 10, 20, or 30,000 songs an accurate number? Some media players, like iTunes, like to make copies of all the songs you add to them and store them in their own special folder. Or maybe one of the media players you're using has a setting to automatically organize your files and you accidentally quit the application before it could finish the job. That could have really messed things up.

The thing is in the past I used to have it set on Windows Media Player so I only deleted files from "my library" and not "my library and my computer" so I think this is why the "My music" on my computer  is larger than that on Windows Media Player.

Not exactly sure what you meant by this, but this also could be the problem if you deleted or moved something you shouldn't have.

Shadin: Hehe, I was being a little humorous, but that's interesting, I didn't know that. They should come to an agreement, or do something so that the space we get is in accordance with the space advertised.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #29 of 36
OK thanks for the help, have tried as best I can to sort it out.
I'd say that 30,000 is about right for the amount of files.

And I wish I could just synch from media player to the device... I have all the music I need, organised in my media player.

But no joy.

Thanks anyway.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #30 of 36
 Did you already try syncing yet? If it doesn't work, on the X7 try going to Settings>System. Find the option called "USB mode" and switch it from MSC to MTP or vice versa. Try connecting to your computer and syncing again to see what happens. It's possible that syncing between WMP and Cowon isn't supported. I've read that MediaMonkey and JRiver work. 

You shouldn't rely on your media player to gauge the health of your library, as it only reads the music tags. Just because everything appears organized in there doesn't mean your files are in order. So it sounds like there is a WMP version of your library with the correct 30,000 song library, and then an iTunes version with ~26,000, and you said another extra folder somewhere with 10,000 inside? What folder is WMP scanning your library from? If it's a separate folder from the iTunes one and the 10k folder, and it has your complete library inside, just delete/remove the other ones (with caution) and then all your music should be located in one place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back