Cowon X7 VS iPod Classic
Feb 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

kodiakhead

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I am the owner a Cowon X7. I'm using Shure 840's and Monster Turbines with the player. I also have an Ibasso D2 boa that I have not needed with the x7. I have been playing with this thing for a total of 12 hours over the last 3 days and I find myself wanting. The sound quality is unbelievable, but everything else about it is counterintuitive.

I have used foobar, media monkey and song bird as my desk top syncing sources as well as dragging and dropping into the physical drive location. None of these options work well. I spend hours creating playlist, tagging and organizing my music, and once I load or sync, it does not look  and is not organized the way I want or anticipated it would be on the player.

In short, I'm wondering if the iPod classic sounds as as good or nearly as good as the X7. The iPod is such an intuitive player that it is hard for me to keep fumbling around with the X7. I'm very disappointed because I really am in love with the sound quality of the X7.

I know that there are a lot of opinions on this site and I appreciate all input, but it can get confusing when responses start flying. I am interested in an answer to this specific question unless someone can clear up my frustration with the x7 for me.

Thanks

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 36
Cowon offer music software for to use with it's DAPs and if you downlooad that from there site either paid version or free, it will like like itune+ipod. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 36
I dunno, maybe it's not the case with the X7, but I just returned an S9 for a 4th gen ipod touch and I've been more than happy with the sound quality. I guess it just depends on your ear, but to me the touch sounded better than the cowon. Though to be honest, I don't know if the classic sounds the same as the touch or what have you.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 36

Quote:
Cowon offer music software for to use with it's DAPs and if you downlooad that from there site either paid version or free, it will like like itune+ipod. 

No,.....The JetAudio software that comes with the X7 is horrid, and really is only useful for video conversion - otherwise it's useless and nowhere near what iTunes is. The X7 is either MSC/MTP, so you get to decide depending on your mood. No software is necessary/required - as w/all Cowon players.

If you do want media management/sync software there's plenty to choose from, not limited to and including: Media Monkey, WinAmp, J.River Media Jukebox, Windows Media Player, Real Player, etc. Your choices aren't limited to JetAudio/Cowon Media center. 

How would I know all of this? I own numerous iPod's & and iPhone 4, I own a D2 and have owned the S9 as well as the J3, and I've used all the software mentioned. Media Monkey is my music management software of choice,...even tho I do use iTunes for some situations.

As for SQ, I actually like the SQ of a Cowon DAP somewhat better in the bass dept, but the classic has the driving power that the touch & iPhone 4 lack. The X7 can drive the bigger cans tho,...that's a huge plus for me, as I use full sized HP's exclusively (except the "behind-the-neck" type of HP's for working out).

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 36
After playing with the X7 for a couple more days, I finally packed it up and sent it back. The sound quality was excellent but I almost couldn't enjoy it because of the lack of playlist continuity. I am hoping that I don't sacrifice too much sound quality by going with the iPod Classic.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It was a fairly divided response; which tells me that I should be happy either way.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 36
well..you won't get the sound quality of a cowon from ipod that's for sure.. but as you wish
smile.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 36
The issue with the X7 vs iPod isn't just better or worse SQ, it's also about playlist support (which Cowon sux at I'm afraid) and controlling the device on the go.

Cowon really can be strange at times, and the X7 lacks the full tactile controls that the S9 and J3 have,...it's easier to control an iPod in your pocket blind - the X7,...NOT!!!

Personally, I also opted for the classic instead of a Cowon X7. I didn't feel it met my needs, as it's like a 2007 device - SQ or not. I made the right decision for myself,...YMMV.

Besides, I'm honestly waiting for the Rockbox port to be made available to the masses - it's in the works, and my classic is itchin' for a fix!!!

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 36
So I have the classic 160 now and it is nowhere near as clean and full sounding as the X7. Cowon really is the way to go if sound quality is paramount; however, for a portable, ease of use is more important to me. If Cowon releases a more complete product in the future, I will be all over it.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
So I have the classic 160 now and it is nowhere near as clean and full sounding as the X7. Cowon really is the way to go if sound quality is paramount; however, for a portable, ease of use is more important to me. If Cowon releases a more complete product in the future, I will be all over it.

I agree with this to a point.  I've had my Cowon X7 for a little over a week and I can't get over the excellent sound that goes along with it.  The sound quality is why I decided to reformat a second time and load another 120 GB of music after, less than a week earlier, going through my 800 GB of music and adding 120 GB of music.  The BBE MP option I'm really enjoying.  The lack of good playlisting is not make or break for me though.

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 36
I'm going back and forth with the same decision-my ipod classic died, and I miss having a portable player. I found the 80 GB on the old classic to be too little, didn't take me long to fill it (with music from my own collection, mostly WMA files). The X7 sounds good from both the space perspective and the reports on SQ. Another option (there are a few; one is bugging me presently) is a refurbished ipod 5.5 Classic from a company called ecoipod (or something like that). This is what they advertise:

(Yes, we do offer hard drive upgrades to 120GB and  240GB! Please contact us if you're interested!!)

Auction Overview

1. iPod Video 5.5 80GB Black Color with UPGRADES !!
  2. Better than any other iPod on Ebay
  3. Environmentally Friendly  
  4. NEW Hard Drive : longer life 
  5. NEW Front Case : Mint 
  6. NEW Back Case : Mint
  7. NEW Screen : brighter
  8. NEW Battery : longer lasting
  9. 100% Perfect Working Condition
  10. Apple Genuine Product
  11. Warranty
  12. Free Earbuds and USB (just email your request)
They basically seem to rebuild the ipod, though the electronics and DA converter is the same...the DA converter is Wolfson, which is so well regarded, on this site and elsewhere. 240 GB is really appealing. Of course, it's basically still the ipod, meaning no FLAC support (just starting to find and listen to these), and it still would sound like ipod 5.5. I have read that the connector at the bottom is a line out, though..I have an ibasso T3, which, connected by a cable from the bottom, should improve the sound coming from those Wolfsons. It ain't cheap (at least, not at the highest 240 GB hard drive option), Does this make sense to anyone? There's always imod (expensive, seems clumsy), Hifiman (small capacity, large, not sure reading descriptions really that great sounding). Anybody got any thoughts on any of the above?
Thanks

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 36
If it's a 5.5g video ipod (which seems so), you can Rockbox it and have your FLACs.  I have never heard of that company but do own several Rockboxed 5.5Gs and they are great.  Yes, the line-out goes to an amp of your choice and it bypasses the internal amp.  Great setups can be had.

Is this the seller you are referring to?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-iPod-5-5-Video-Eco-Friendly-80-GB-80GB-Extras-240-/330446639098?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item4cf0278ffa

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #14 of 36
That's the one-seems like a more user friendly option than the Cowon's (though I am fairly new at this game, and have no Rockbox experience)

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 36
Some of those setups look interesting, what is everything hooked up to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back