Cowon X5L
May 29, 2007 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TurboRotaryFreak

Head-Fier
I have been reading up on features of the X5L and am leaning towards buying it. Mostly because of the FLAC playback. there are also other features that I believe I will truly love. I am passing my Zen V: M to my sibling. Largely due to the fact that I hear the X5 has really good sound output. The battery life (esp on the L series) is quite astonishing. So here are my questions:

-Will I just need a mini to mini cable to hook up the X5 to my TH or do I have to get a designated line out from someone? If I have to get a LO, can you, please, point me in a particular direction.

-I know there's a 60G version available...or should I say, that was offered. I can't seem to find any. I have tried Amazon and all the other retailers listed on iAudio/Cowon website. Does anyone know if/where I could find a 60g version.

-I have been madly/rigorously looking for information on the X7, and all I can find is speculation/rumors about a successor of the X5. Any idea which date iAudio is even going to do a press release?

-Should I just wait for the "supposed" X7?

Thanks for your responses in advance. Also, if any of you could direct me to a thread which would enlighten me a bit more about the X%, i'd appreciate it.

May 29, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 15
1.) You will need a mini-to-mini. Let me also say you'll want to use the headphone out, rather than the line-out. Line-out on the X5(L) is worthless.

2.) There don't seem to be any 60gb new around anymore. Try searching eBay. You should also know that there is now X5L version of the 60gb. Only the 14-hour version.

3 and 4.) iAudio isn't too big on press releases. Things just sort of 'happen' with them. The X7 is rumored to be coming in the summer. However, Cowon has not confirmed this. The source, GenerationMP3, is a trustworthy source, but it's the only site to have reported. Even if Cowon did announce the X7 this summer, it still may take a few months for it to come stateside.

I personally think that the X5L is a great device, and you'd be perfectly happy with it. In fact, it still fits my needs. I'm just a little obsessed with gadgets, and having already owned one, I need something new.

May 29, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1.)I personally think that the X5L is a great device, and you'd be perfectly happy with it. In fact, it still fits my needs. I'm just a little obsessed with gadgets, and having already owned one, I need something new.

So how does your Zune compare to the X5L? Is it strictly the UI that is different? I don't think the Zune would have a better sound output quality. But then again, I haven't compared the two. I guess I'll read the X5 v Zune thread, if I can find it.

BTW thank you.

May 29, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 15
From what I've read, the Zune is supposed to have one of the best HP outs of any mp3 players. I haven't heard it so I can't comment on that... but I do have an X5L 20GB and I must say... it sounds awesome. And yes, it's true, there is no 60GB X5L (quite unfortunate).

I'd say wait for the X7 if you can, but really who knows when it will come out? It could end up being a while. So, maybe you might as well just get an X5L now and then, if the X7 releases later on and it compels you, make the upgrade. Without any solid dates, I find it hard to recommend trying to wait it out.

May 29, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboRotaryFreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how does your Zune compare to the X5L? Is it strictly the UI that is different? I don't think the Zune would have a better sound output quality. But then again, I haven't compared the two. I guess I'll read the X5 v Zune thread, if I can find it.

There are quite a few differences. You'll have to cut me a little bit of slack, it's been over a year since I last used my old X5 (gave it to a friend as a "Thank You" present.)

Of course, the UI is extremely different. The X5L uses folder-based browsing, while the Zune uses ID3 tags. This is completely personal preference, but I like ID3 tags MUCH more than folder based. In fact, I arranged my folders so that they were Artist->Album->Song, which mimics ID3 structure.

I like the controls of the Zune much more too. The X5L joystick was a little flimsy. It never got to the point that it hurt, but holding the joystick was anything but joyful. The X5L also had a lot of twists and turns with the buttons on the side. Lots of little shortcuts and what not. It definitely required a learning curve, and when my friends wanted to find a song, it was impossible to explain. The Zune is much nicer in that regard. Simply back, play/pause, and the 5 way circle. very simple and easy.

I really miss the X5's UMS. Granted, the Zune Software isn't bad, but I really miss being able to use Mediamonkey for transferring my music. It's a great program.

Sound: I don't remember everything about the X5's sound, as I just only just recently stumbled upon head-fi, and was, at the time, very pleased with a pair of E2c's. I remember loving the sound they both made. I toyed with the effects for hours. The sound is VERY customizable, and easily one of the best I heard. I heard instruments in songs that I'd never heard before. Truly a great time.

Now, I've become analytical in my sense of music. I scrutinize the music I listen to now. The Zune still does perform well. I like it's sound more than my old Zen Vision: M. It's fuller, but the lack of a custom EQ is extremely unfortunate. I'm glad I got this in a trade, rather than pay $249 for it, basically.

All in all, they're both VERY good players, but if my next DAP had to be one of those two, I'd go for the X5L. No doubt in my mind. Beautiful sound, great battery, support for lossless. It's shortcomings are not something that would influence my decision about it.

However, Cowon did recently announce that they are halting the production of any new X5(L) units, which may be a sign something else is on the way. If nothing else, I'd recommend waiting until the end of summer for any updates. That is, if you're willing to wait that long.

If you need music and don't want to invest TOO much, check out Cowon's flash-models too. They sound just as good (so I've heard) and aren't quite as expensive as the HDD players.

May 30, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 15
Regarding the line-out on the X5: there's been a whole lot of discussion about this. Some people like it, some people hate it. It's fairly clear that there's significant bass roll-off with the line-out, but it's up to you whether you can live with it. I'm pretty happy with the X5 line-out going to an SR-71 and AKG K-81DJ (which are pretty bassy on their own).

As to how to get the line-out: the X5 comes with a "subpack" that plugs into the bottom of the player and provides line-in and line-out 1/8" jacks, plus power and USB connections. New subpacks are $10, or you can get a cradle with the same functionality for $30. (I actually use a cradle in my portable rig, because it's fairly compact and has a much more secure connection than the subpack gives when on the move.)

The HP out on the X5 is pretty good too, and I was happy to discover that it drives the Shure E3c, at least, without any hiss. (I had a fair amount of hiss with the same phones on a Rio Karma.)

There is no 60GB X5L. There are basically two case shapes for the X5 family -- the "thin" and the "thick" (4mm thicker). The "thin" players (X5 20GB and 30GB) have a single-platter hard drive. The "thick" players have room for either a dual-platter drive (X5 60GB, which I have), OR an extended battery (X5L). There isn't room in the case for both. Incidentally, the "thin" and "thick" use different cradles, so make sure to get the right cradle if you want one.

The one big advantage I can see for getting an X5 now instead of an X7 later is that the X5 has really good Rockbox support. Rockbox gives you more format support, rock-solid FLAC playback, perfect gapless, a very fancy equalizer, configurable crossfeed, configurable crossfading between songs, a pretty decent tag database for navigation... The interface takes some getting used to, but it's highly configurable. I've been very happy with it. The X7, whenever it comes out, will probably have to wait a while for Rockbox support.

May 30, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 15
I use the lineout from my X5 a bit. I don't find it that bad. Note that you can get a LOD for an X5 from Qables. Thats where I got mine only recently.

May 30, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 15
If you look around ebay (etc) you can also find the odd M5L .. monochrome, no subpack/line out, no radio, and no USB-to-go feature. However it runs Rockbox just fine, and comes in at around half the price of an equivalent X5L, which may do until the X7 shows up (if ever..).

Personally I rate the (Rockbox'd) X5/M5L models as the best AUDIO players I have come across, for sound quality, battery life, and firmware .. Ok Rockbox is not actually 'released', but it works fine and does the whole gapless / lossless thing much better than any manufacturer has managed yet (albeit it doesn't play .wma, and doesn't do 'USB to go' on the X5 .. something the M5 doesn't support anyway).

You could spend hours playing with the equaliser and sound processing features alone .. not that the regular X5 firmware is lacking in those areas. There are two grouses about the X5L .. PITA to replace the battery, and a somewhat fragile headphone socket (on the side, so if your phone have a straight plug, you may want to invest in a 90 degree adapter).

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 15
Regarding the X5 EQ:

The X5 custom EQ only lets you push frequencies into gain, not into loss. The amp has a bit more headroom than the norm for mp3 players so you can get away with a few db of boost, but it will start clipping pretty quickly when you start to significantly alter the balance. I don't find the EQ on the X5 to be all that usable because of this. My old Zen Micro had a custom EQ that allowed you to use subtractive EQ, pushing frequencies into loss, and it was much more usable.

As far as to buy an X5 or not: the X5L 30gb version is still one of the best audio players on the market, if video features aren't that important to you. The battery life is incredible, I think I got something like 60 hours out of mine before my first charge, and even half a year of use later it still clocks in at 30-35 hours of lossless playback, though admittedly I use very sensitive canalphones and my volume rarely goes above 13/40.

There are better sounding players out there (the Kenwoods destroy the X5 for sound quality) but I still use the X5 preferentially for it's wealth of features, convenience, and great battery life.

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The battery life is incredible, I think I got something like 60 hours out of mine before my first charge, and even half a year of use later it still clocks in at 30-35 hours of lossless playback, though admittedly I use very sensitive canalphones and my volume rarely goes above 13/40.

I take it you haven't rockboxed the player then. Battery life with rockbox w/ v0 LAME mp3 is roughly 16-18 hours (I don't do lossless portably) w/ Westone UM2 at -49db. I didn't think rockbox killed the battery life to that extent. I RB'd mine the day I got it, so I never did a stock firmware battery test.

Awesome player. Too bad it's been discontinued.
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 15
The X5's pretty good in terms of audio quality, much like the rest of the iAudio family. But the joystick may annoy some, but since you already have experience with it and with the amazing Rockbox feature set that it now has, i don't see a reason to not get it. The X7's release date hasn't been confirmed and the actual existence is still questionable, but for sure it will put a bit more focus to the video aspect much like its competitors (Creative, Microsoft, Apple). So i say just go for it, my iAudio A2 sounds great and it's been said to sound similar so i'm sure you'll be satisfied.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X5's pretty good in terms of audio quality, much like the rest of the iAudio family. But the joystick may annoy some, but since you already have experience with it and with the amazing Rockbox feature set that it now has, i don't see a reason to not get it. The X7's release date hasn't been confirmed and the actual existence is still questionable, but for sure it will put a bit more focus to the video aspect much like its competitors (Creative, Microsoft, Apple). So i say just go for it, my iAudio A2 sounds great and it's been said to sound similar so i'm sure you'll be satisfied.

Yeah that would be a shame. We need 100 Gb capacity, insanely good (TH??!) battery life, and an excellent UI. Some folks *cough* *cough* couldn't give a frack about video.

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you haven't rockboxed the player then. Battery life with rockbox w/ v0 LAME mp3 is roughly 16-18 hours (I don't do lossless portably) w/ Westone UM2 at -49db. I didn't think rockbox killed the battery life to that extent. I RB'd mine the day I got it, so I never did a stock firmware battery test.

Awesome player. Too bad it's been discontinued.
frown.gif

Depends what format you play, I think. I've got my collection in FLAC, so I can transcode to whatever I want for portable use. I went to Musepack (Extreme settings, ~160-200kbps) for Rockbox, since the decoder's been heavily optimized for the Coldfire CPU in the iAudio and iRiver units. I haven't done a full battery test, but just watching the CPU speed in the debug menus, it's been running at a flat 45MHz while playing MPC, even with crossfade and crossfeed turned on. By comparison, when playing MP3 or Vorbis it boosts to 125MHz on a fairly regular basis, which is going to eat more power.

It also depends how recent a build you're running. I think there's been a fair amount of battery optimization in the last year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back