COWON s9 won't turn on
Jul 3, 2009 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zeromacro

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my S9 today. Did the beta firmware update. Everything was working fine until it turned off on its own (battery was full btw). And nothing will make it turn back on. Never dropped, still has the protective screen on. Any ideas on how to approach this problem? i tried the reset button without any success. When connected to USB to my PC the PC makes the recognition sound but nothing else happens.

Edit: it turned itself off while watching a music video (avi file).

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Had to reset it a few times and it finally turned back on again. Does this happen often with anyone else?

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Is there any way you can revert to the previous firmware version? Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for beta firmware versions to have "bugs" in them. Try contacting Cowon support to find out if they have any suggestions or updates for the time being! This was a Cowon authored firmware update I'm hoping. Good luck

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 12
I guess it is the beta firmware problem that I installed. I never had the chance to try them out without the update since I updated it as soon as I got it -so I can't be certain. Hopefully the official firmware will come out and this problem will be solved.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm using 2.31b without any issue. Don't be put off by the b (beta) prefix. Cowon firmware is a law on to itself. It's not unknown for beta releases to be more stable than a later full release. I wonder if the video file that killed the player is a bit suspect. Might be worthwhile getting it off the player. I've had similar issues with other Cowon players where a rougue file causes meltdown

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had to reset it a few times and it finally turned back on again. Does this happen often with anyone else?

I have a bad music file that I haven't been able to track down because my D2 dies when it tries to play it. If I hold the on/lock button to on for about 15 seconds I hear a loud POP. I let go of the button and turn the player on normally.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 12
I got rid of the video file. But yesterday I fell asleep with them and when I woke up (2-3 hours later) it wouldn't turn back on again. I tried the lock to on button (15 seconds) but nothing happened even after a solid minute or so. I ended up pressing the reset button. What I noticed is that the new tools included in the 2.31b shows up but won't work. Otherwise, functions like no lag in between music files (lack of a term) seems to still work just fine. So my question is, do I need to reinstall the firmware again?

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my question is, do I need to reinstall the firmware again?

Well, you've got nothing to lose. You may have corrupted something in S9's system so a reflash is worth a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back