Cowon S9 with Mac OS X?
Apr 13, 2009 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

raymondu999

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I'm considering buying the Cowon S9 player if and when the capacity gets bumped to include a 32GB piece in the lineup. anyone know how the S9 plays together with Mac OS? It only says file transfer, but does that mean I can still transfer songs to it from my Mac and have it play the songs/music normally?

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 11
Yeah, you can transfer all your music files over to the s9 and it will all work properly. There's no playlist support for macs tho, or at least I could never figure it out when I had an s9.

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 11
Aha!! Thanks a lot. So what is actually the difference between this and setting up my music on an iPod, on top of Mac OS? Just no automatic synchronisation? I don't actually use playlists, so that part is cool on me
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondu999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically from the computing point of view it's never good to do that though lol

i tend to think if it is idling its ok to do it. I often does it for my flash drives, iPods, iPhone... Just dont do it while transfering data... hehe i just turned off my monitor the other day which has the usb cable connected to my iPhone... turning off the monitor means the usb function also shuts off... and it was also Syncing expecting the worst, it works fine afterwards.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondu999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha!! Thanks a lot. So what is actually the difference between this and setting up my music on an iPod, on top of Mac OS? Just no automatic synchronisation? I don't actually use playlists, so that part is cool on me
smily_headphones1.gif

With the iPod, everything (music, video, podcasts) has to go through iTunes. With the s9, you can do everything right from the finder, which is convenient if you have a bunch of music on an external hard drive.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use to just yank off d2 out of my macbook and had numerous problems. is "ejecting" the plugged in device still required in the newer s9?

Yeah, I think ejecting is still required. I forgot to eject it one time and ended up having to reformat it, and reflash the firmware. And somehow, my transfer speed dropped after that incident
confused.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 11
I like iTunes. However to facilitate my Cowon I'll be converting my songs in low bitrates to MP3, and my lossless tracks to Flac. iTunes can drag and drop music to the Cowon like that? I thought the S9 only supported file exchange?

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 11
yeah, just pick what you want in itunes and drop it to the finder mount for s9 music. if cowon have fixed up their firmware, it will work well, otherwise, you will not have any albums or songs in correct order.

my d2 took about 3 months after purchase before it was worthwhile as a player. i never used finder to finder, i always used itunes to finder as it is much much faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back