Cowon S9 vs Sony X1000
Aug 1, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #61 of 77
Hi, Quote:

WHAT????????????????

Typical?
normal_smile .gif

Check out ABX testing etc,then post a more useful comment maybe.

Cheers BOB

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by spuddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Typical?
normal_smile .gif

Check out ABX testing etc,then post a more useful comment maybe.

Cheers BOB

If, while reading your post I could decipher it as ENGLISH, I wouldn't have said "WHAT?????????????????????" Check the foolishness at the door, too many people here are educated.

Translated: Learn to create a post that makes sense!!!! Befuddled, jumbled, mish-mashed paragraphs (?) are confusing to all. I'm fully interested in the topic, so something that contributes to the discussion would be helpful.

Besides, I didn't know that ABX testing had a bearing on that,...................
popcorn.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #63 of 77
I had a chance to handle and listen to the S9 at JR today. The single song on the unit was the Cowon theme song or something like that and it was simply awful. I suspect that the unit sounds much better than THAT. I own the D2 and like the sound - could use some more detail but I like the wide stage, etc. Folks say that the S9 is warmer than the D2. Trying to envision the differences - difficult since I am one of those people who do not find the D2 cold.

I am auditioning a Sony X series and generally like it but would like a wider soundstage. I especially like that the Sony seems like it is built to last.

And that is one of my biggest questions about the Cowon. It just seems like it is easy to break. In fact, the store unit had the little button on the top broken off. I would welcome any real life descriptions of the durability. I would also love a detailed comparison of sound to the D2 or Sony but much has been written on the subject and it is difficult to translate these things, it seems.

thank you

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by spuddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,not really experienced in Portable stuff,but compared to HiFi think the 'X'(with FX500's),is average'ish,maybe a touch of warmth,certainly not warmth compared to some valve amps & other stuff etc.Heard iPods & others(prob with cheap HP's),some of those were a bit cool,digital,not real full bodied sound etc(if those are the right words).

Cheers BOB

ps what are you trying out next,think i'll buy that
beyersmile.png

Do you think change is good as a rest,especially with sound signatures?Or new to,always/can sounds better,well till the newness wears off maybe?Just wonder if there are factors?Even if only subconsciously.
Would have thought headphones used(certainly a variety used,dear to cheap etc on other DAP etc reviews iv'e read,thats if you know whats been used),synergy etc,would make comparing more complex.Plus individuals sound signature preference etc,which i suppose can change from time to time.
S9 looks to beat 'X' on numerous things apart from audio,that must sway peeps a bit.Even if main priority is audio quality.
Ramblings
beyersmile.png

These are questions,not answers
wink.gif
,not sure how they affect me etc.
When you see those street surveys or whatever,can you tell which is what,food etc,organic non-organic etc,surprised how many get them wrong
beyersmile.png

Could you at least proofread and clean up your posts before actually posting them? I got a headache trying to read this one (above).

I'm still lost as to what you are trying to say.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #65 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to handle and listen to the S9 at JR today. The single song on the unit was the Cowon theme song or something like that and it was simply awful. I suspect that the unit sounds much better than THAT. I own the D2 and like the sound - could use some more detail but I like the wide stage, etc. Folks say that the S9 is warmer than the D2. Trying to envision the differences - difficult since I am one of those people who do not find the D2 cold.

I am auditioning a Sony X series and generally like it but would like a wider soundstage. I especially like that the Sony seems like it is built to last.

And that is one of my biggest questions about the Cowon. It just seems like it is easy to break. In fact, the store unit had the little button on the top broken off. I would welcome any real life descriptions of the durability. I would also love a detailed comparison of sound to the D2 or Sony but much has been written on the subject and it is difficult to translate these things, it seems.

thank you

If you like the D2, you won't miss anything in the S9. It's all there: detailed sound, plenty of settings to tweak the output to your taste and plenty of power to drive even full-sized cans to good listening levels. With the provided BBE settings you can tailor the sound to your liking; the added warmth only makes it more enjoyable, IMO. There's no hint of muddiness or veil of any kind to the sound: it's clear and clean as expected from a Cowon DAP/PMP.

As for durability, I've been using mine on a daily basis in crowded subways, inside my backpack or in my pocket for the last month or two. No problems of so far: it's brand new. See that I don't use any kind of screen protector or case. I take good care of my gadgets, but in my experience it won't break easily.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the S9 got gapless playback for MP3 files with the latest firmware update. Totally awesome!

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the D2, you won't miss anything in the S9. It's all there...

EDIT: Forgot to mention the S9 got gapless playback for MP3 files with the latest firmware update. Totally awesome!

The SD expansion slot is not present on the S9, so it's not all there.
wink.gif
It has one additional feature (besides the screen) that wasn't on the D2: bluetooth. So now you can pair some wireless headphones with it.

He is right about the support for gapless on MP3s (beta 1 had gapless for the lossless files).

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SD expansion slot is not present on the S9, so it's not all there.
wink.gif
It has one additional feature (besides the screen) that wasn't on the D2: bluetooth. So now you can pair some wireless headphones with it.

He is right about the support for gapless on MP3s (beta 1 had gapless for the lossless files).

I mean sound wise.
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #68 of 77
Hi,

Quote:

Hi,not really experienced in Portable stuff,but compared to HiFi think the 'X'(with FX500's),is average'ish,maybe a touch of warmth,certainly not warmth compared to some valve amps & other stuff etc.Heard iPods & others(prob with cheap HP's),some of those were a bit cool,digital,not real full bodied sound etc(if those are the right words).

Cheers BOB

ps what are you trying out next,think i'll buy that

Do you think change is good as a rest,especially with sound signatures?Or new to,always/can sounds better,well till the newness wears off maybe?Just wonder if there are factors?Even if only subconsciously.
Would have thought headphones used(certainly a variety used,dear to cheap etc on other DAP etc reviews iv'e read,thats if you know whats been used),synergy etc,would make comparing more complex.Plus individuals sound signature preference etc,which i suppose can change from time to time.
S9 looks to beat 'X' on numerous things apart from audio,that must sway peeps a bit.Even if main priority is audio quality.
Ramblings
These are questions,not answers ,not sure how they affect me etc.
When you see those street surveys or whatever,can you tell which is what,food etc,organic non-organic etc,surprised how many get them wrong

1,i don't think the X1060 is ,well overly warm.Natural,yes.

2nd Paragraph

2,'ps what are you trying out next,think i'll buy that'
Duncan has or has had some good stuff,he didn't choose bad with the X1060(or FX500's,i like them,not perfect thou.So you might not),S9 is looking good,be nice(if you could)to forecast the next good thing.

3,'Do you think change is good as a rest,especially with sound signatures?Or new to,always/can sounds better,well till the newness wears off maybe?Just wonder if there are factors?Even if only subconsciously.'
A change can be refreshing,you hear different things etc in your new player,or you've started listening to different music,must have some influence on a comparison.ABXing the sound from 2 players.
3rd Paragraph
4,'Would have thought headphones used(certainly a variety used,dear to cheap etc on other DAP etc reviews iv'e read,thats if you know whats been used),synergy etc,would make comparing more complex.Plus individuals sound signature preference etc,which i suppose can change from time to time.'
Lots of different headphones,lots of different daps,so some might sound good with some or bad with others.Peeps like different sound,one dap or headphone,or a combination might not suit all.X1060 to me sounds better with the FX500's than the supplied ones(do some online reviews,just use ones that come in the box,not always stated?).

4th Paragraph

5,'S9 looks to beat 'X' on numerous things apart from audio,that must sway peeps a bit.Even if main priority is audio quality.'

S9 certainly looks to have more going for it if its not just the audio quality you want.Reading about video quality on them both(other forums),could be hardly any perceptible difference in real life.

5th Paragraph

'These are questions,not answers ,not sure how they affect me etc.
When you see those street surveys or whatever,can you tell which is what,food etc,organic non-organic etc,surprised how many get them wrong'

I don't think i am that good at ABX testing,or double blind etc,prob can't tell Stork from Butter(prob for UK only).

Cheers BOB

ps If someone posts 'WHAT???????????????? ',what do you think or would do?Is there any need for this type comment?Prob be a lot more Flamming than what i said?(especially in the Kiddies forums,like HUKD's).Do you like clique's?Can your mates stick up for themselves?Do you have to read or comment on any post,especially in a negative way.If so whats the reason?

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the X1000 yet, so no personal comments on the quality of the sound from that PMP. As for the sound chip, according to a few posters on ABI's forums, the X1000 uses a slightly older sound chip (Wolfson?) than the S9 does. The difference in sound quality is supposedly minimal and most people may not be able to tell the difference.

I own the 32 GB version of the S9 (Titanium/Black) and have had it for 2 days now. Updated it to 2.31b2 firmware (gapless MP3 playback support) and have the Aero Ultimate G1 v.4.00 UI installed. Loving every second of it paired up with my Senn HD201s and my UE SF3. Also watch plenty of videos on there (including anime) and the screen is breathtakingly gorgeous. Only wish the 7+ LCD screens in the house also were OLED screens.

No, the sony doesn't use a wolfson codec, it uses sony's own S-master digital amp. Which doesn't even use a DAC. The X has it's own sound sig, and really sounds nothing like the S9 especially flat.

Digital Amplifier S-Master : Sony Australia

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #72 of 77
What do you expect from Cnet? Frankly, their reviews are so pathetic and biased it's comical... I mean they do a prizefight, and there's no mention of video capabilities? What the? The Sound section is confused with inclusion of functionalities like slacker and bluetooth?

Any mention of CNet should simply be automatically deleted from this forum. It's plain insulting to what this site is about. Period.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #73 of 77
I dunno. I thought the Cnet compaison was pretty clear with enough information to decide what was important to me. I might not pit the same emphasis on each item, but I suspect that my observations on a characteristic by characteristic basis will be similar to the authors. And the cnet article is certainly consistent with other descriptions. Like any review type article, I take what I can from it, decide what is important to me and then move on. I'll tell you, though, if the UI of the S9 is not much much better than Cowons previous offerings to my eyes and use then I don't care how it sounds. It goes back. I do have the Sony in house and it is a breeze to use and sounds very good-but I try not to think about the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back