Cowon s9 vs Ipod classic
Aug 1, 2009 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

big_sound

100+ Head-Fier
I know this isn't a close fight, but there are so many features that I would like on the s9. I have a classic, and have been pretty happy with it. I don't really want an amp, but I would like better sound quality. I was going to get an iTouch, but I know the s9 is definitely better.

Is it worth upgrading from ipod classic?

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 5
Can you live with ~30.5 GBs at a time? If not, then the S9 may not be your PMP. If you can, then it's more than enough of a worthy upgrade from your iPod Classic. It may not be as feature rich as the iTouch (namely WiFi), but with the 9000+ flash games available for it, you can't possibly be bored for long.

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 5
You know I was asking myself that same question, a few days ago. But since I went through so many PMP's with mediocre soundquality not including my Zunes. I decided to buy the s9 instead of the classic because I needed a player while microsoft was repairing my zune and because I wanted a new toy anyway, and as many positive reviews there are on the S9 about the soundquality, I believe it is worth the upgrade.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 5
The S9 is not really in the same market as either the Classic or the Touch. The Classic is basically for massive music / video collections, but the SQ suffers without a LOD / amp, and the screen isn't as good as newer devices out there. The Touch is more for the App Store / Wifi crowd, as it's more of a PDA than a DAP (although I've read here that the DAP SQ is very good). But you are going to pay a premium for it.

The S9, on the other hand, is more for the audio / video crowd only, with its excellent screen and SQ. But, it's doesn't have huge storage, and no Wifi / App Store. So, it really depends on what your needs are.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S9 is not really in the same market as either the Classic or the Touch. The Classic is basically for massive music / video collections, but the SQ suffers without a LOD / amp, and the screen isn't as good as newer devices out there. The Touch is more for the App Store / Wifi crowd, as it's more of a PDA than a DAP (although I've read here that the DAP SQ is very good). But you are going to pay a premium for it.

The S9, on the other hand, is more for the audio / video crowd only, with its excellent screen and SQ. But, it's doesn't have huge storage, and no Wifi / App Store. So, it really depends on what your needs are.

Excellent analysis,.... stated perfectly!!!

Now, I miss my Touch 2G because of the apps and games, but the SQ of the S9 really helps me forget that pain. Really, there's no comparison between it and the Touch.

The Classic, it's a media vault, and needs a LOD>AMP setup to sparkle. My son has it, and the HP out is "meh", and the EQ is useless (same as the Touch BTW).

Personally, I'd suggest that you decide on what to get by seeing what features you value most, then go from there. Also, wait till Sept - the new Touch, Zune HD, and (possibly) the Creative Zii running Android will be released. It's worth the wait, and should prove to be an exciting month!!!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back