Cowon S9!Sound quality hard to beat!
Mar 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #16 of 33
I've been using my S9 for about a week now. Reasonably happy with them, one thing I noticed.. is the hissing. I was a tad disappointed as it is significantly more noticeable compare to my old 3rd gen ipod classic. Not too big of a problem once the music starts playing though.

Oh, and the battery meter could use some better calibration. My battery bar told me I was out of juice 10 hours ago, and the thing is still going....

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by planx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good purchase! thinking about getting S9 or O2. any problems you have had with them yet?

O2 lasts half of the S9 in term of battery life. For music, S9 should be a better player. I have been thinking about upgrading from D2 to S9, but not enough upgrades to which player (for music that is, screen is gorgeous)

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AMOLED? OLED is usually used for small devices with small screen requirements.

AM is an acronym for Active Matrix, which is the drive mode. It allows better control over the flow of electrons around the screen as opposed to PM (Passive Matrix), which in turn allows faster response time, better blacks, reduced noise, better colors, energy efficiency etc... Most OLED manufactures are now moving to AM exclusively.

PS: Most LCDs and OLEDs found in today's MP3 players, Phones, monitors, HDTVs etc... are AM based.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nielo TM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AM is an acronym for Active Matrix, which is the drive mode. It allows better control over the flow of electrons around the screen as opposed to PM (Passive Matrix), which in turn allows faster response time, better blacks, reduced noise, better colors, energy efficiency etc... Most OLED manufactures are now moving to AM exclusively.

PS: Most LCDs and OLEDs found in today's MP3 players, Phones, monitors, HDTVs etc... are also AM based.

Ooh, I now understand why there's an AM infront of the OLED screen of the S9 now.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #20 of 33
There are other ways to drive the OLED panel besides AM and PM, but atm, AM seems to be the only practical/viable choice. However, it does waste a lot energy as opposed to other proposed driving modes.

In the near future, OLEDs with RGBW sub-pixel structure, efficient drive modes and diodes themselves will vastly increase the usage time of portable devices. ATM, the efficiency of OLEDs is poor, but superior compared to LCDs.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 33
How is the sound of the S9 vs the Cowon D2 Vs. the Iaudio 7?

I'm seriously thinking about the Iaudio7 since excellent audio is my only concern!!!!

But does the S9 sound better?

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the sound of the S9 vs the Cowon D2 Vs. the Iaudio 7?

I'm seriously thinking about the Iaudio7 since excellent audio is my only concern!!!!

But does the S9 sound better?

I would say the S9 is pretty close too the D2 but Iaudio 7 sounds really nice too.It's a pretty powerful little mp3 player.The D2 might have slighter edge in sound quality,mainly more quantity in bass.But i would have to hear them side by side.I haven't heard a D2 in a long time.

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by argada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using my S9 for about a week now. Reasonably happy with them, one thing I noticed.. is the hissing. I was a tad disappointed as it is significantly more noticeable compare to my old 3rd gen ipod classic. Not too big of a problem once the music starts playing though.

Oh, and the battery meter could use some better calibration. My battery bar told me I was out of juice 10 hours ago, and the thing is still going....

So far the battery life has been fantastic.

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys know if they have any plans on releasing a 32gb version?

Yes!They are going to release a 32GB version soon.Oh and you can make or download customized user controls,menus,features,games and basically redesign the firmware.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #26 of 33
Yeah, in my opinion the realize of 2.10 firmware is probably safe to say, ok the beta firmwares are over, stability should be perfectly fine.

Things have smoothed out quite a bit in terms of speed

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #28 of 33
Is it possible to get a line-out from this player to perhaps run it through an amp? Perhaps some of the connector pins are for line-out already?

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SinnerG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to get a line-out from this player to perhaps run it through an amp? Perhaps some of the connector pins are for line-out already?

Quables has a LOD for the iAudio X5 but that's it.I don't know what kind dock connecter the X5 uses and if it fits the S9.But i used the headphone out with my ALO Mini3 and it sounds great. Update.I contacted Quables and it doesn't fit the S9.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #30 of 33
I just wish the Cowon S9 had much better bass support. The fact that it has massive bass roll off is what really turns me of about this particular media player
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back