Cowon S9 - Only the best - With Pictures and Videos!!
Dec 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #16 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it's not. No multi-touch (pinching). Also, is it capacitive touch screen? The Cowon O2 uses resistive touch screen, and it's not that great.
The UI seems to lag quite a bit on the video. That can be annoying.

From what I read, yes, it's capacitive touch.

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt it will in terms of sound quality, to me that's most important of all.

Here's the same video only in higher Quality:

YouTube - COWON S9 Preview

If it sounds anything like the S639F, and the S9 sounds like the D2, they'll be about equal in terms of SQ but with different sound signatures.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #18 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plus sony supports actual industry formats.

rolleyes.gif
A cowon player can play whatever Sony players can (MP3, WMA, WAV). Do Sony players support FLAC, ogg, ape?

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I read, yes, it's capacitive touch.

Really? I don't see that being mentioned anywhere. Capacitive touch screen is one thing that make the iPhone/Touch and G1 very usable.

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #22 of 136
Looks really slick. headphone jack on the bottom is nice (hated the X5 with the location of it's jack).
Battery life seems good and codec support is decent. Lack of expansion sucks. The lag going picture to picture is longer than the iPhone's or Touch's lag. Still pretty impressive and it seems to be a capacitive screen which is great.

Sony and Cowon both make good sounding DAPs IMO. Stinks that I am setting up a rig with a 4G Nano and I may want to own the S9. gah

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #25 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No expansion slot doesn't make me want to chuck my D2 in the trash and buy one.

I'll stick with my D2 for now, as well - proven player, and has the SDHC slot. The only thing the S9 offers is a larger widescreen, but video has always been secondary for me.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #28 of 136
I think they messed up if they were expecting D2 owners to upgrade. The SD expansion slot was one of the big selling points of the D2, and with cheap SDHC cards now £20 for 16GB, the absence of the slot is a huge mistake. I was going to upgrade but now I'm not sure.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #30 of 136
I think this will be great. Apparently the new sound chip is sounding very good (I can't remember who said it but I think it was a retailer with a pre-release model). Then again, that's what was said of the D2... The battery life is very good for the screen size and no expandability should mean that the claims are what you should be aiming for in real world usage.

No WiFi doesn't bother me in the slightest and I don't know why all of a sudden it's a key feature...? Especially when you have bluetooth connectivity which seems a lot more useful to people who want to play music out and about.

Yes, surfing the net is nice but 90% of people have a phone which does the same and doesn't need a WiFi network. The only good thing I see WiFi being used for is streaming media from a PC or laptop or getting internet radio which don't seem to be the reasons people keep mentioning it? So why does everyone want it all of a sudden?

The interface does look a smidge unresponsive/awkward. The person using it does seem to be in a hurry to select everything for the video, which wont help so I'd wait for a proper hands on. Either way, it's a huge step up from the D2! Since I don't have that much music (expandability is only used because I have a launch 4gb model, a 16gb version would be fine) and the D2's interface is clunky at best I'd upgrade in a heartbeat (if the firmware's any good).

I don't know if I'll get one. I've just picked up a Clip and I kinda want a larger PMP than my D2 for home/long trips and this doesn't seem to tick off some of my needs (it's a shame the O2 didn't live up to expectations). Otherwise, this is looking very good in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back