Cowon S9 + IE7 do you need an amp?
Mar 11, 2009 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

natty15d

New Head-Fier
Ive got a Cowon S9 and an old pair of cx300.
ive spent ages trying to decide what to replace the cx300's with ive gone between the Audeo PFE, cx95 and the IE7 & IE8.

seeing as i cant justify the expense for the IE8 @ £190 im going to go for the IE7 @ £119.99.

what im wondering is will i notice any improvement by adding in an amp, and if i do which would be the one to pick up

Nathan

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 13
I am currently using the Cowon D2+ with Senn ie7. The combo sounds fantasic without an amp. In this case "fantastic" is relative, means in comparisson with other ie7 combos such as Sansa Fuze and Iriver SPINN (with the SPINN it sounds almost as fantastic)

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 13
I also have the D2 and IE7's. If the S9 has the same power output as the D2, most definitely, you will not need an amp. It also sounds great coming from my NWZ-S639.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well out of an ipod the 7 run fine, tbh i dont think an amp will do a lot of good to them. ive tried them with my fiio E5 and cant say i noticesd any difference. maybe a btter amp would but eitherway they sound great without one.

u havent heard the best of IE7 yet then
smily_headphones1.gif

try it with ipod>iBasso D2 Boa .... big jump in soundstage immediately...then u ll noticed improvement in the highs also.

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 13
for volume, you almost never need an amp but for stage and bass extension, an amp is helpful for certain players. the cowon line up generally have weaker bass extension when driving iems especially lower than 50ohm and below so an amp will bring back the bass as the cowon no longer has to drive any load. the same goes for sound stage.

cowon generally also have a great clean headphone output that works very well for amping. but you don't need one unless you really value bass resolution and a better stage.

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

try it with ipod>iBasso D2 Boa .... big jump in soundstage immediately...then u ll noticed improvement in the highs also.

well have a LOD on its way to me and have been thinking about amps, just too many to choose from

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 13
i have the cx 300s and i just got the S9, I'm finding the volume to be a little weak. I'm about to pick up some grado sr325is... looking for some IEMs at some point let me know how it works out for u.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 13
No amp needed. The IE7 are very efficient and sound great. S9 will drive it just fine.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Do I need amp for Creative Zen Vision W + IE7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back